Finally... > General Discussion

So, my first year of Uni starts in 2 weeks

(1/3) > >>

Nilocy:
And I'm sorta crapping myself. What was your guys first impressions of University life? And what do you advise I try to do. I'm not staying in Halls of Residence or anything, but its sorta common knowledge to go and sign up for as many activities as i can handle to meet new people.

Zironic:
Yeah, I'm commuting also - so I need to be socially active if I want to make friends.

umiman:
Get the Collegehumour's guide to college. It will tell you everything you need to know and more.

de5me7:
ive just finished my fourth year and am starting a masters.

i wouldnt bother crapping ur self, everyone else starting is in the same boat as u. Know one will know anyone in ur first week.

A few tips

Lots of new students react in one of two ways

way 1. my parents dont control me any more so im going to go nuts! Some ppl people go a bit over the top and loose the plot, this mainly happens to people who were very house bound prior to uni

way 2. (for what ever reason) i dont waht to get in to any kinds of trouble. some people hide in their rooms and only come out to do work.

I guess you have to ask your self waht are you expecting to get out of uni. IMO uni is about thinking, exploring and finding stuff out.

stuff about your self, waht you believe about life/death/many other things, what you enjoy. its about questioning stuff about the world around you.

you can only find stuff out if you try it,

set out to explore.

My first impression of uni was it was very over rated, but i think i expect the wrong things from it - many students arent that interesting, and if you've partyed before uni it doesnt reall raise the tempo

id join some clubs and socs, but depending on what course ur doing u'l probs only have time for two or three, if that.

also try to make a few different friendship groups.  Ur most immediate friends will be those you live with but lifes easier if you know other ppl aswell.

The first couple of weeks are the best times to meet randoms after a few weeks ppl sort out their social groups and life returns to normal

oon my first night of uni i went out with 4 guys id met in a corridor got very battered in some goth club, woke up the next day and found that had to carry me back and i almost got them beat em up rude bois, amazing

Cthulhu:
I'm starting my first year of college in nine days.

I plan on speaking to no one unless spoken to, mumbling one word answers when spoken to, and secretly despising the people who speak to me.  Unless I meet cool people, then I'll talk to them more often.  I doubt I'll meet any cool people though, there's a dearth of cool people where I live.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version