Finally... > General Discussion

How well do you know healthcare reform?

(1/2) > >>

mainiac:
While healthcare reform has been a real hot topic issue lately, it seems to me that the news hasn't really covered the proposals very well or even at all.  I think that it's quite possible that someone could be following the "news" on healthcare very closely but never even hear about the biggest parts or the proposed reforms.

I've been wondering about this and to satisfy my itch, I'm making a highly unscientific internet poll.  These questions are meant to be completely non-partisan; I'm not asking about the flaws or benefits at all.  Instead, I'm wondering if you can identify what the proposals are.  If you are interested, then do this quick four question quiz and answer the poll based on how well you did.  If you want to discuss the poll, that's cool, but try to spoiler tag any answers on the first page. 

So... the four biggest elements of healthcare:

1) The proposed "Community Rating" is:
a) a ban on setting insurance plan prices on criteria besides geographic area, age and smoking habits
b) a government study to find what healthcare practices are most effective and encourage these practices
c) a system by which consumers rate their insurance companies customer service on an annual basis
d) a national comision to evaluate healthcare in different communities and allocate medicare payments accordingly

2) The proposed "Exchanges" are:
a) Allowing people to trade items on their current insurance plans for insurance plan items of equivilent value
b) A market in which any insurance program an insurance company offers must be offered for sale nationwide
c) A public information service to let insurance shoppers learn from government information and feedback from other insured persons
D) Requirements for certain minimal-to-no coverage plans to be replaced with more extensive insurance.

3) The "Mandates" being proposed are:
a) "pay or play" i.e. the "individual mandate" which enrolls all uninsured persons in a government mandated insurance program at individual expense with subsidies for the poor
b) "pay if you play" which prevents insurers from denying claims once they collect premiums
c) the "public mandate" which requires the federal government provide care for all uninsured persons below a certain income level
d) "play or pay" and the "individual mandate" which enroll and/or fee certain uninsured businesses or people with subsidies for the poor

4) The proposed "Public Option" is:
a) a health service which would have care provided by doctors on a government salary
b) a government managed insurance plan that would be offered to some individuals and bussinesses
c) tax credits available to medicare recipients who turn their healthcare descisions over to end of life councils
d) a network of publically funded hospitals which would offer a package of basic treatments for a flat rate

Answers:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)1)a 2)b 3)d 4)b

IndonesiaWarMinister:
Ar ar ar!

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR LATE HEALTH REFORM.

Yesh, late pub. spending is late.

Cheeetar:
I got none of them right, but I know nothing about it and was just guessing.

redacted123:
-

Aqizzar:
I haven't stayed anywhere near as informed on this as I should be.  Every time I try to wade into the material discourse, the rhetoric barrage makes me think I'm going to have a stroke.

Based on educated guessing and news osmosis, I got 1 and 2 right.  I pretty much got 3 and 4, but I just wanted too badly for them to be trick questions with multiple right answers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version