Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poor biome borders with mountains  (Read 2275 times)

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Poor biome borders with mountains
« on: August 31, 2009, 03:18:19 pm »

I just embarked on a 6x6 area including badlands, shrubland, and a named mountain.  The site had steep cliffs in the mountain biome.  However, they started exactly on the border of the biome, making a nearly perfect line over the entire map, broken only by a few ramps.  When I started the game, I did a double take because it looked just like 2D DF.  The setting felt incredibly artificial, which is unusual for DF.  It's also odd, because while this is my first named mountain site, I have played on volcanoes before, and they never have had this problem.  Is this a bug, or is this just what mountains are like in DF for now?

This was also

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
Re: Poor biome borders with mountains
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 03:20:28 pm »

I'd like to see some screen shots.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 03:25:50 pm »

I'd like to see some, too.  If you got d11-d14, take some snaps in Visual Fortress too.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 03:27:43 pm »

I doubt it's a bug but the RNG can occasionally spit out unnatural looking terrain divisions...

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 03:52:51 pm »

Here is a zoomed-out screenshot.  It's my first fortress in d16, so no visualize.

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 03:57:23 pm »

I'm sorry, here is one from ground level:

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 04:52:39 pm »

Yup, that's pretty straight there. I think Toady has said he needs to tweak worldgen a bit so this doesn't happen, but damned if I'll be able to find the quote where he says so.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 04:56:17 pm »

I've seen that before where the terrain follows the region tile border.

It may have something to do with erosion, or at the very least erosion should make it less straight.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 05:36:46 pm »

I got a similar effect on my current map, but it doesn't actually stay that straight very far up... too bad cause a map similar to the old 2d version would be epic...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 07:20:53 pm by timmeh »
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 05:40:13 pm »

I remember a great fortress I had once.  Savage desert.  Had three perfectly square pillars rising straight up out of the ground.  It was to perfect.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 06:36:45 pm »

The weirdest I've ever seen are the three z level high mountains at the edge of a forest.
But those would look natural in Real Life.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 07:17:29 pm »

The weirdest I've ever seen are the three z level high mountains at the edge of a forest.
But those would look natural in Real Life.

Those would be hills, not mountains, or maybe alluvial debribs from erosion.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 07:21:12 pm »

I remember a great fortress I had once.  Savage desert.  Had three perfectly square pillars rising straight up out of the ground.  It was to perfect.
I don't suppose you have screenshots or a world-gen?
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 08:00:34 pm »

Every now and then the worldgen freaks out and creates dead straight cliffs.

I can't be certain, but i have noticed that these cliffs generally appear on biome edges, or above underground features, i've managed to find the HFS (which i often turn onto finder only for fun) a couple of times because there was a region tile that was partially bordered by perfectly straight cliffs.

I think what's happening is the game is 'overrunning' on the mountains, for the biomes for example the mountain should run into the desert biome or whatever, but because of sheer luck or something the biome it's running into is one that is coded as being almost perfectly flat, so it just removes the mountain that runs into it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 09:45:36 pm »

Well, fairly straight sheer cliffs DO actually occur occasionally in real life as well, so i wouldn't call it that unnatural, even if they are pretty uncommon.