Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Magma Evaporation  (Read 1434 times)

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
Magma Evaporation
« on: September 01, 2009, 12:40:03 am »

As I understand it magma pipes refill by spawning 1/7 tiles of magma where the top of the pipe should be.  If this 1/7 tile falls on top of more magma but is still a 1/7 tile will it eventually evaporate?

I thought I saw that it would but I can't seem to find that post again and confirmation on this is vital to my megaproject.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Evaporation
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 12:55:43 am »

"8/7" magma will indeed evaporate. "9/7" is of course fine again. I hollowed out a mountain to fill from a magma pipe and wound up with 1 full z-level and a mound of magma evapourating at the edges on the next level.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 12:59:45 am »

Well it's going to be a nightmare to accomplish this project, but it must be done for dwarves everywhere!
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 07:34:54 am »

As I understand it magma pipes refill by spawning 1/7 tiles of magma where the top of the pipe should be.  If this 1/7 tile falls on top of more magma but is still a 1/7 tile will it eventually evaporate?

I thought I saw that it would but I can't seem to find that post again and confirmation on this is vital to my megaproject.

Wrong, they spawn little towers of 7/7 magma that then spread out.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 07:50:18 am »

Also, 1/7 magma will not evaporate unless there is stone (or a construction) underneath - if it's on top of more magma, it'll just flow around and make pretty waves (which you won't see unless you turn on "show flow amounts").
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 08:59:47 am »

Also, 1/7 magma will not evaporate unless there is stone (or a construction) underneath - if it's on top of more magma, it'll just flow around and make pretty waves (which you won't see unless you turn on "show flow amounts").

What about 1/7 on top of 7/7, i.e. one z-level up?  That doesn't cause the same flow behavior does it?  It just sits (also, don't need flow amounts on to see this).

"8/7" magma will indeed evaporate. "9/7" is of course fine again. I hollowed out a mountain to fill from a magma pipe and wound up with 1 full z-level and a mound of magma evapourating at the edges on the next level.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 10:11:58 am »

What about 1/7 on top of 7/7, i.e. one z-level up?  That doesn't cause the same flow behavior does it?  It just sits (also, don't need flow amounts on to see this).

Reading comprehension for the win:

In this case, "more magma" means "7/7 magma". As for the flowing around, see this video for an illustration of what you should be seeing.

I hollowed out a mountain to fill from a magma pipe and wound up with 1 full z-level and a mound of magma evapourating at the edges on the next level.

In this case, the most likely result was that the magma chamber being filled was not 100% uniform and had floors along the edges, onto which the magma settled and evaporated.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 10:18:58 am by Quietust »
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 11:30:03 am »

Well, you wouldn't need flow amounts on for 1/7 on 7/7, only for 1/7 on 1-6/7, which is, in a sense, magma on magma.

Clarity for the win. :)
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 01:42:25 pm »

1/7 magma on top of 7/7 magma WILL evaporate. I know this from trying to fill a 42x42x2 room with magma. The first level went fine, but the second level reached some sort of equilibrium, never filling more than some percentage of the tiles with 1/7 magma.

I was able to overcome the problem by having magma come into the chamber via two sources rather than just one.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 02:28:19 pm »

Now I'm curious - does the same evaporation happen with water flowing on top of a 7/7 water tile? Because if it does, that's almost certainly a bug.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 02:33:10 pm »

Not a bug. Water evaporates from large bodies all the time. That's why it rains.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 02:34:42 pm »

Water at a depth of 2 or greater only evaporates in hot climates - in a temperate area (or underground), water deeper than 1/7 will never disappear (unless a dorf decides to drink it).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 02:37:10 pm by Quietust »

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 06:56:54 am »

Water at 8/7 will also evaporate, even underground:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1648-evaporationdemonstration

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 07:44:57 pm »

Yeah, if you drain a magma pipe down past the top level, then if the top level  is significantly smaller it can have trouble ever refilling (because new magma is actually generated from/on that top level, not the bottom.)  If those 1/7 tiles on that level don't get refreshed enough, you lose 'em, regardless of the layers and layers of 7/7 below.

Yes, lame.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 11:35:36 pm »

Bah, well I can always pump up from a 7/7 layer into a storage, let it refill those and then put some back in so that it goes above 1/7, wash, rinse, repeat.
Pages: [1] 2