Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Magma Evaporation

<< < (2/4) > >>

MrFake:

--- Quote from: Quietust on September 01, 2009, 07:50:18 am ---Also, 1/7 magma will not evaporate unless there is stone (or a construction) underneath - if it's on top of more magma, it'll just flow around and make pretty waves (which you won't see unless you turn on "show flow amounts").

--- End quote ---

What about 1/7 on top of 7/7, i.e. one z-level up?  That doesn't cause the same flow behavior does it?  It just sits (also, don't need flow amounts on to see this).

--- Quote from: kaypy on September 01, 2009, 12:55:43 am ---"8/7" magma will indeed evaporate. "9/7" is of course fine again. I hollowed out a mountain to fill from a magma pipe and wound up with 1 full z-level and a mound of magma evapourating at the edges on the next level.

--- End quote ---

Quietust:

--- Quote from: MrFake on September 01, 2009, 08:59:47 am ---What about 1/7 on top of 7/7, i.e. one z-level up?  That doesn't cause the same flow behavior does it?  It just sits (also, don't need flow amounts on to see this).

--- End quote ---

Reading comprehension for the win:

--- Quote from: Quietust on September 01, 2009, 07:50:18 am ---Also, 1/7 magma will not evaporate unless there is stone (or a construction) underneath - if it's on top of more magma, it'll just flow around and make pretty waves (which you won't see unless you turn on "show flow amounts").

--- End quote ---

In this case, "more magma" means "7/7 magma". As for the flowing around, see this video for an illustration of what you should be seeing.

--- Quote from: kaypy on September 01, 2009, 12:55:43 am ---I hollowed out a mountain to fill from a magma pipe and wound up with 1 full z-level and a mound of magma evapourating at the edges on the next level.

--- End quote ---

In this case, the most likely result was that the magma chamber being filled was not 100% uniform and had floors along the edges, onto which the magma settled and evaporated.

MrFake:
Well, you wouldn't need flow amounts on for 1/7 on 7/7, only for 1/7 on 1-6/7, which is, in a sense, magma on magma.

Clarity for the win. :)

Sizik:
1/7 magma on top of 7/7 magma WILL evaporate. I know this from trying to fill a 42x42x2 room with magma. The first level went fine, but the second level reached some sort of equilibrium, never filling more than some percentage of the tiles with 1/7 magma.

I was able to overcome the problem by having magma come into the chamber via two sources rather than just one.

Quietust:
Now I'm curious - does the same evaporation happen with water flowing on top of a 7/7 water tile? Because if it does, that's almost certainly a bug.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version