Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Combat  (Read 20533 times)

Anticipation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Combat
« on: September 01, 2009, 02:12:43 am »

So I found the combat in adventure mode rather confusing. I don't particuarly care about adventur mode but I think it would be interesting to know how exacly combat works for DF mode. Things like counterattacks and grips.
Reality is like a wasps nest, stay away and you won't get stung.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Combat
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 04:04:44 am »

That's planned. You just had to read the Dev log or the List of remaining items (on this very subforum), Toady talked a lot about it lately.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 05:34:49 am »

I think it is actually the same system for combat in adventure mode and dwarf mode, but I'm not sure.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 06:40:36 am »

Yep, there's just a lot more detail displayed to the player in adventure mode, but dwarves are actually fighting goblins the way you would if you were an adventurer.
There's also the fact that adventurer mode is turn by turn, whereas fortress mode is real time.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 07:57:33 am »

Fortress mode is just as real time as adventure mode.

The turns just go faster.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 08:18:25 am »

Yep, there's just a lot more detail displayed to the player in adventure mode, but dwarves are actually fighting goblins the way you would if you were an adventurer.
There's also the fact that adventurer mode is turn by turn, whereas fortress mode is real time.

Actually it's not, Fortress Mode runs turn by turn same as adventurer mode, it's just it runs alot faster (each frame is a turn, often you'll get 30 - 100 frames per second)

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 08:42:14 am »

I may be walking into and exacerbating a debate over semantics, not generally a wise thing, but technically, many "real-time" games are "turn-based" in their implementation.

What typically separates real-time games from turn-based ones (from my perspective at least) is whether or not the game waits for player confirmation before proceeding to the next turn.  Which would mean that adventure mode is turn-based, and fortress mode is real-time.  This, to me, is the most important distinction to make for the vast majority of players.

Developers, of course, would consider the technical details to be important as well, but not exclusively (except for the developers who work purely on the technical details and do not deal with game design at all).

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 07:14:36 am »

By this definition of "turn-based", pretty much all real-time games are turn-based.

I honestly don't know a single one that isn't implemented as a discrete time automaton.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 08:26:12 am »

By this definition of "turn-based", pretty much all real-time games are turn-based.

I honestly don't know a single one that isn't implemented as a discrete time automaton.
That's computer games for you.
But yeah, an example of pure real-time games are the board games.
IF you want to stay ahead of the GM, you can do so. <-Confusing wording? Sorry guys...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 07:42:07 am »

Depends; RTS games function in discrete time intervals, but generally those discrete intervals can't be 'chopped up' into turns without causing the program to stop working. In Fortress Mode though the turn functionality is identical to adventure mode, except the turns run automatically.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 02:16:03 pm »

But yeah, an example of pure real-time games are the board games.
IF you want to stay ahead of the GM, you can do so. <-Confusing wording? Sorry guys...

A real-time board game?  If only I knew I could draw new cards in Candyland without waiting for my turn...

I'm more interested in imaginary-time games.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 02:51:42 pm »

That's computers for you. Computers are digital, they are literally incapable of anything continuous. Any appearance of real time or smooth animation is purely the illusion of a lot of frames going by really fast.
So is the universe, btw, if those insane physicists are to be believed.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 03:06:22 pm »

Well, first try to define any single moment of time as a single time slot. it's impossible to do exactly because we take more than one time slot to think "that was a time slot". We understand the universe as a fluid thing, but all things must happen at one time, like the instant a photograph takes a picture (still not perfectly instantaneous, but I don't think we can do better right now). All is fluid and yet static, flowing but still.

P.S. Lose 1d20 San if you actually understand any of this...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 03:29:11 pm »

Ha. All you need are better cameras. :P

There's also the planck time unit, which may or may not be a measure of the actual resolution of time.. it's the best candidate, if time is discrete.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 03:39:49 pm »

A real-time board game?  If only I knew I could draw new cards in Candyland without waiting for my turn...

I'm more interested in imaginary-time games.

Heh, ever played the card game Munchkin?? Avid DFers ought to enjoy the humor in it. Come to think of it, a DF-esque Munchkin set would rule, and confuse the hell out of non DF-ers. (Carp? Why is Carp the most powerful water-monster? WTF?)

But yeah, considering how... unique the rules are in Munchkin, I'd say if you can get everyone to look away from the play area at once, you can pretty much draw as many cards as you want, whenever you want.

Of course, the other players may beat you for it.

Wulfe
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9