Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Smelting creatures  (Read 1241 times)

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
Smelting creatures
« on: September 01, 2009, 04:22:24 am »

Yes, I know they'll turn out as vermin.

But what exactly does that entail? How does the produced creature actually behave? Do the usual tags like [FIREIMMUNE] [DRAGONFIREBREATH] [ITEMCORPSE:blahblahblah] still work? And what if I smelted actual vermin?

And on the flip side of the coin, can I actually use creatures as a reagent?  ::)

I can't play at the moment, so I have to ask. :-\
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smelting creatures
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 11:29:47 pm »

vermin are already unaffected by fire, and magma
they can't shoot firebreath

but itemcorpse may work, assuming you have your cat attack them.
hell, your cat might bring the remains back to a stockpile.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 09:32:06 pm »

Interesting. So I can make vermin that, when killed by a cat, torch the cat with a [FIXED_TEMP:25000] corpse item? Awesome

Too bad I can't have firebreathing cockroaches, though.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:24:24 am »

I've never had an answer to this question, so I'll ask again. Can we make creatures the product of reactions? I would've thought not, but it could be possible.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 07:51:54 am »

Yes, but they come out as Vermin rather than Creatures.

I'm guessing this is because the product of a Smelter has to be an Item, and Vermin are technically Items. It could also just be a quirk of the code.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 06:49:08 pm »

So I could create purring maggots from chunks at a smelter? Awesome.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 07:02:37 pm »

Yes.  But there are separate tags for tame and un-tame vermin.  Look on the wiki under modding/reactions.  PET will make it tame, I think.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 08:31:20 pm »

But tame purring maggots can't be milked, so should I turn purring maggots off as a pet before modding this in?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 08:36:44 pm »

Separate tags for making them tame or untamed in the product line of the reaction, I mean.  Not the creature.  Even a creature that can't be tamed can be smelted into a tame creature, just as metal can be made to be smelted into beds.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 08:38:27 pm »

ah, of course. I'm unsure of the smelting syntax required for creature smelting, so could someone help out?

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 03:55:15 pm »

Whoa, whoa wait a sec... Vermin can use item corpse?
Those creatures that can be dug up by using 'L' in adventure mode are they vermin if so where are they in the raws?
If these dug up creatures are vermin can they be made to be killable?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:59:03 pm by Evil One »
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 04:12:07 pm »

Vermin ARE killable and cats have the tag to do it...unfortunetly.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 12:42:28 am »

Interesting. So I can make vermin that, when killed by a cat, torch the cat with a [FIXED_TEMP:25000] corpse item? Awesome

I'm liking this...
Fluffy McScamps cancels dump item: too injured.
Fluffy McScamps, cat has detonated!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 02:34:44 am »

Damn my idea failed... I tried to create a type of vermin that would die dropping a [FIXED_TEMP:25000] Corpse item to use as hand grenades but no matter what you do to vermin short of introducing them to a cat they just don't die, and if you add bodyparts to them they cease being vermin.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 04:57:56 am »

why not give them a volatile extract and dissect them?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: [1] 2