Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Full graphics support details  (Read 20984 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
Full graphics support details
« on: September 01, 2009, 06:03:32 am »

Since the "full graphics support" element is gaining popularity, I thought it might be worth starting a thread on it. I'm trying to make this a list of everything that could be useful when creating top-down graphics for DF... bear with me :P. Elements not necessarily presented in order of importance.

-A separate tile for every possible object/creature.

-Gfx Categories. If there's no icon defined for a specific object, the game checks if an icon has been defined for the category it belongs to. As a bonus, nested categories would be great:
Detritus->Body Part->Leg->Dwarf leg
Weapon->sword->shortsword

-Colouring tiles. The already implemented feature allows us to take the grayscale sword icon and colour it according to the material it was made of. Bonus points if the whole RGB scale can be used, instead of just the few colours in the init tile.

-Expanding the principle of varied_ground_tiles to all other graphics- allow assigning multiple images for one object/ type of rock/ creature etc. (chosen randomly).

-The possibility to define dedicated graphics for workshops would be great.

-A simultaneous display of an object and the tile it is standing on (a dwarf on grass, a cabinet on a stone floor).

-A graphical representation of slopes using a set of simple gradient icons (I've already created those) superimposed on the basic ground tile. As seen on this picture. It would be most excellent if ramps were limited to these 12 tiles for easier visualization and less confusion (and more control).

-With the above feature- simultaneous view of a few z-levels. Lower levels could be depicted with lower colour intensity and contrast. A simple "shadow" around the edges would help distinguish the layers.  (as seen on this pic- though it doesn't show the proposed ramp display.)

-Also on that picture- a "surface view", in which you get to see ALL surface terrain layers at once and all units aboveground (ie. objects and terrain higher than the active layer are also shown). In this view, the cursor is presumed to be pointing at the surface- if you want to point at something in the air or underground, you use the normal DF layer display.

-Tiles made of multiple separate images- mainly for walls. Like an image of ore veins over a basic rock wall tile. With a good blending method, this would also make engravings look much better.

-Different tilesets for different zoom levels (supposedly very easy to do). This way, when zooming in, simple graphical symbols could be replaced with detailed images.

-one creature per tile. The current situation is as much a display problem as an unfortunate gameplay mechanic. Multiple creatures loitering in one tile prevent you from admiring the large population, take away the challenge of having to design large enough spaces (mostly meeting rooms, but there's much more to it), and most of all make combat completely unreadable. Therefore I suggest that two creatures should occupy one tile only when one is squeezing past the other, unless they are somehow FORCED to occupy one tile like animals dropped into a one-tile pit (and it that case, should more space be freed, the squashed animals should "spill" to the neighbour tile).

-better combat display: the current "purple background" that means the unit is engaged in melee isn't very informative, especially since in a larger group you don't know who's attacking who. Once the display is freed from the stiff tile system (and I DO mean the display, not the gameplay), something like this would be extremely welcome.

Finally, once there's nothing better to do: some sort of an optional orthographic projection. In order to make this usable without having to do graphics for everything, I present: ascIIIso. Everything but the basic wall cube, ramps and stairs is the default curses font! (automatically edited).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:12:47 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Full graphics support details
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 10:28:12 am »

Well... I'd like to say that in my mind, step 1 is a raw'd symbol code for every item, and that would be sufficient to clear the current votes.  Everything else is bonus.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 10:42:32 am »

More control over which colours are used for the foreground and background in which circumstances (eg. smoothed, engraved walls; terrain) would also be useful.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 12:19:27 pm »

I think once full graphics support is in, playing with the foreground/background colour wouldn't be necessary anymore- smoothed walls, engraved walls, terrain- all would simply use a different tile.
<3

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 12:36:54 pm »

Sorta... We'd still want to have a generic 'Wall' tile that would take fg and bg colors from the stone(/wood/whatever) raws and pin it onto the tile.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 12:40:01 pm »

I think once full graphics support is in, playing with the foreground/background colour wouldn't be necessary anymore- smoothed walls, engraved walls, terrain- all would simply use a different tile.
Of course, but in the meanwhile, if it is a quick fix...

Even with tiles, there still will be colouring effects (light arc, magic etc.), or colouring the same tile differently (for engravings, the same craft in a different mineral, etc.) might be more practical than making a whole set of all possible differently coloured tiles. There'll be a lot of colours.

Using patterns instead of colours will be fun too, especially for minerals like malachite or chrysocolla.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 12:44:28 pm »

At a base level, a modified transparency level could be cool.  255,0,255 is transparent now, right?  Maybe use 255,255,0 as the FG and 0,255,255 as the BG.  You'd lose two (more) colors, but I think it'd work

Sagabal

• Bay Watcher
  • Komrade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 04:35:17 pm »

-A graphical representation of slopes using a set of simple gradient icons (I've already created those) superimposed on the basic ground tile. As seen on this picture.
How would this be represented once the lighting arc is finished, whenever that will be?

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 06:02:01 pm »

Lighting- brightness
height- colour intensity (things getting closer to gray or maybe light blue to simulate air haze, whatevs).

EDIT: like this: http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/upload/towerblue.jpg
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 06:07:39 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 05:20:24 am »

Silverionmox, I like your idea with using colours and patterns. The easy way out would be to take one image for the basic wall tile and then put another image on it (like the image of veins or gems).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:33:42 am by Mike Mayday »
<3

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 05:35:25 am »

So then in that picture, how would you display it if it's night, the bottom dwarf is carrying a lantern or torch or some other form of light, and the dwarf on the top z level is stumbling around in darkness?

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 06:01:10 am »

madrain: quite simply, the brightness of any point-light should get lower with distance, so that it is not distracting but still informative :)
It's a bit harder to mock up though.

EDIT: the main problem is that I'd want not only the colours to get less saturated, I would also like the contrast to gradually decrease. But I don't know how to do that in photoshop layers.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 06:04:37 am by Mike Mayday »
<3

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 08:35:58 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aw, tiny candle.

It's a bit harder to make something readable with the other mockup depicting landscape elevation, though.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 06:21:38 pm »

Added some stuff to this one. Any more ideas people? Come on, with any luck, at least ONE of these items will be in the major release after the next one! ;P
<3

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 07:16:14 pm »

To add on your combined tiles idea: Engravings.

It would be great to just superimpose a few extra pixels over a wall or floor tile to indicate an engraving.
Especially if we get randomized wall tiles. Although random rough walls are more exciting than random smooth ones.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5