Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Your Questions!  (Read 57166 times)

chaturga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Your Questions!
« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2009, 07:06:38 pm »

Do you have any intention of making some of the more misc items made in certain craft processes (Such as toy anvils/mini-forges) useful? Including children being able to use theese to gain their respective skills when they grow up (Somthing like a child plays with a toy axe, and grows into a pesant with atleast some skill in axes)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2009, 07:11:44 pm »

Do you have any intention of making some of the more misc items made in certain craft processes (Such as toy anvils/mini-forges) useful? Including children being able to use theese to gain their respective skills when they grow up (Somthing like a child plays with a toy axe, and grows into a pesant with atleast some skill in axes)
Its been mentioned by toady that he does intends of making all or at least most misc items useful at some point (including cups, toys and instruments), though I lack Footkerchief's talent of finding the correct quote.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 19, 2009, 07:18:02 pm »

Hi.

Are Dwarf Fortress and Legend modes ever going to be integrated?  For example, right now, if a dragon shows up in DF, I cannot really know much about it unless I visit its legends page after the fortress expires.  It would be much cooler if one could get a link to an entity's Legends entry when selecting them, be they civs, megabeasts or really old goblins.

If a civ-entity had a cache of information it knows - such as goblins it's interacted with and dragons it's heard about - that information could be made available to the player. That'd be pretty neat.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2009, 12:40:11 am »

Hi.

Are Dwarf Fortress and Legend modes ever going to be integrated?  For example, right now, if a dragon shows up in DF, I cannot really know much about it unless I visit its legends page after the fortress expires.  It would be much cooler if one could get a link to an entity's Legends entry when selecting them, be they civs, megabeasts or really old goblins.

If a civ-entity had a cache of information it knows - such as goblins it's interacted with and dragons it's heard about - that information could be made available to the player. That'd be pretty neat.

I think Toady's said that he'll make it possible to listen in on conversations going on between dwarves, so maybe we'll hear something like "Ozo Flamesconsumed the Incendiary Actions? That's the bugger what torched all of Potatosqueezed in 73!" 

But until then, a link to their Legends mode page should be a good placeholder.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 20, 2009, 12:51:51 am »

when you can choose to be an adventurer, start a dwarf/elf/human/super-cool-mod-race settlement, or lead an entire civilization

Leading entire civilisations isn't that far off. We will have that before Non-Dwarf Settlements.

Also WHOA question explosion.

Edit Addition: I mistaken this for the "Future of the Fortress" topic. No wonder people were asking soo many questions. Ill leave this up since it is still valid. Though I appologise for this silly mistake.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 01:02:15 am by Neonivek »

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 22, 2009, 01:32:33 pm »

One of the earliest changes was making "a region's raw files reside inside of the region save folders." To what extent does this happen? How does this affect genning a new world? Does it pick the "main raws" in the \raw\objects folder, or can you have a list of different raws to choose from?

[suggestion]
One idea I thought of was having the raws compiled into a single file, so mods can be more easily distributed, along with a separate raw file compiler/decompiler for editing and packaging. The files would be kept in \data\objects, and when genning a world, one would choose between "Default" (vanilla), "Custom" (whatever's in \raw\objects), and whatever raw files are in the folder. The new region would have a copy of the raws in the region folder, so that one can edit the original without affecting the region.[/suggestion]
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 22, 2009, 04:16:05 pm »

Lotsa people voted for the underground civs discussion, but I'm not seeing any actual questions about them...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 22, 2009, 04:39:40 pm »

How different will the various animalmen be? Will they be individual unique races, or a "anthropomorphic" teamplate asigned to an animal to create races that are mentally very similar? What are kobolds compared to animal men? It seems like the above ground animal men will be connected to the elves somehow, will this count for the underground ones as well, or if not will there be other differences between above- and below ground animal peoples?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 22, 2009, 04:52:28 pm »

will we ever be able to visit living fortresses in adventurer mode? or abandoning them but not deserting them: starting a new fortress on a world that already has a fortress running?
and visitors? an AI adventurer passing trough my fort location, stoping to buy some equipment or having a drink at the tavern, or the human caravan guards heading to the tavern to taste some of the legendary dwarven plump helmet wine...

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 22, 2009, 05:06:58 pm »

Do you plan on adding a live calendar that tracks days, months, year that is visible throughout gameplay? Perhaps toggleable?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2009, 06:07:30 pm »

Do you plan on adding a live calendar that tracks days, months, year that is visible throughout gameplay? Perhaps toggleable?

You can check the date on the status (z) screen in dwarf mode, or with (D) in adventure mode.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 22, 2009, 07:38:28 pm »

The county arc and Army arc(that are my favorites) will come togheter?what's the current version of amry arc?

Would be fun starting fortresses out of map limits

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2009, 10:12:26 am »

You mentioned dwarves healing at a different rate then in adventure mode.  Are you happy with the way time flows in Fortress Mode and Adventure Mode? Are you considering trying to align them?  Do you see there being a day/night cycle in Fortress mode?

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 23, 2009, 02:38:52 pm »

Is green the colour for questions?

Wait. Nevermind.

Is there any fan made mod/program to tell you your dwarves age? Will this be a possible feature in further updates?

Sorry for such mundane questions.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 23, 2009, 02:46:34 pm »

Is there any fan made mod/program to tell you your dwarves age? Will this be a possible feature in further updates?

It's coming in the next version:

Quote from: dev log
08/05/2009: It was Zach's birthday today. In honor of the occasion, it'll now display a dwarf's birthday and his or her age in the description, if the world is old enough for that to make sense. Otherwise it'll just put the effective age. I've also done some more with descriptions in general, though not enough to call it good yet.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14