Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Your Questions!  (Read 57123 times)

Zenanon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Your Questions!
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2009, 04:59:04 pm »

Do you plan on having Totems do anything in the near future?  It would be my assumption that at the very least it should unnerve an enemy if your fort is covered in skulls, especially if they're skulls of that enemy's species.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2009, 06:05:48 pm »

[Regarding the last dwarf talk's uncertainty about the Bronze Colossus]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_of_Rhodes
The Colossus of Rhodes was a massive bronze statue, just over 100 feet tall, built overlooking the harbor on the Greek island of Rhodes.  Stood for some 60 years before being toppled by an earthquake.

Here's a question for you:

If you get a 'legendary' fey mood (one that generates a magic item instead of something that's just really shiny), could we see golems, collossi, et cetera?
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2009, 10:17:37 pm »

Will the randomization of items after a fortress abandonment and subsequent entry by a player adventurer be a toggle option in the init file?

It already really sucks to have your delicately designed artifact museum in a large fortress map end up spread out over the surface world... it'd only be worse with the new (possibly) equally large underground caverns.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 10:19:20 pm by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2009, 10:52:09 pm »

Do you plan to someday remove Legends Mode or make it unnecessary by making it possible for the player to discover all he wants about the worldgen history through asking around in Adventure Mode?

I think you can already do that by looking at engravings and talking to people in adventurer mode. And yes, worldgen fortresses also have engravings on them, sometimes, i actually do remember entering a goblin tower which had a decent piece of its floors engraved.

Also: Can Toady explain how exactly martial arts in DF are supposed work like? Is it like some interface in which the player can choose what moves to do and how to execute them, or special attacks that experienced NPCs might teach and an adventurer could learn by talking with said NPCs? I just wanted to ask because i'm still quite confused by that idea, even though it sounds pretty awesome.
So, how will they work? And whats your plans for martial arts in fortress/adventurer mode?

Another thing that's been bothering me is if in some later release we'll get the chance to play as other races. I've read stuff about it here and there and i'm sure i saw it somewhere in the dev list, but i just can't remember. Will we get to build our own human city/goblin tower/Elven settlement/kobold cave? If so, will they be handed differently, with different restrictions/possibilities? Because it'd be really weird to just dig a hole in the ground and live there as a human, instead of working aboveground and building an actual city.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:28:37 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2009, 11:09:24 pm »

...Another thing that's been bothering me is if in some later release we'll get the chance to play as other races. I've read stuff about it here and there and i'm sure i saw it somewhere in the dev list, but i just can't remember. Will we get to build our own human city/goblin tower/Elven settlement/kobold cave? If so, will they be handed differently, with different restrictions/possibilities? Because it'd be really weird to just dig a hole in the ground and live there as a human, instead of working aboveground and building an actual city...
As you may or may not know, you can already mod it so that other races are playable.  However, they all use the Dwarf Fortress UI, are presently restricted to dwarf-usable weapon types (for instance, you can only have crossbowman, not archers; this will be amended next version), and, at present, above-ground construction is a huge pain.  (In my current game as a human town, I find my buildings, thought above-ground, tend to get basements quite quickly...)  I do recall it's a very-far-away goal to have humans, elves, and I think goblins and kobolds, playable with special adjustments to their styles of construction and civilizations.
EDIT: Ah, here we are.  Explicitly listed as being planned post-version 1 (e.g. really far away).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:11:05 pm by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2009, 01:54:38 am »

Trading related questions:

1. Are you planning to allow trading in fortress mode with more than one civilization of a given race and will you be able to trade with dwarven civilizations other than your own? I can see a few issues with this, and if you've considered it much I'd like to hear your thoughts.

2. Will the arrival of a merchant once per year no longer be guaranteed if/when the time it takes for them to arrive is determined by the distance and terrain between your fort and their starting point? Related to this quote on the Caravan Arc Preliminaries: "III.A.1: Replacement of generated caravans in dwarf mode with actual caravans (part of Core3)"

Embark questions:

1. Do you have plans to allow the first seven dwarves to be chosen from a larger pool of dwarves which are actual world gen members of your chosen civilization?

2. Do you intend to add more role-playing elements to the process of creating an adventurer? I'm talking about something like the questions asked in ADOM but I'd love to hear any of the ideas you have and also possibly when you envisage being able to incorporate them (more what order of priority it would have amongst other plans, not an exact time date).

Gameplay questions:

1. Will the speed of creatures be changed to more realistic levels so that for instance a dwarf would never be able to outrun a deer no matter how perfectly agile he is?

2. Will creatures be given separate walk/run speeds that they use at different times and for different reasons?

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2009, 02:05:55 am »

Another one~

Will, through deeds of their own or proximity to wondrous events, otherwise mortal creatures be one day elevated to the 'status' of Megabeasts and become a diety or something similar? Sort of like a Champion becoming so renown in combat that he becomes The People's God Of War. Or a Groundhog that just so happens to be able to predict the length of the seasons, so a Cult grows up around him. Would they become immortal, or would their ghosts / souls gain godlike powers upon their mortal death, in relative strength to their following?
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2009, 02:10:18 am »

When, how, and how much do you plan to have relative height affect combat (both melee and ranged)?   I don't mean creature size or stance, but rather terrain--historically "holding the high ground" was a crucial advantage, but in DF it is irrelevant at best, and due to the way arrows move, often a disadvantage.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2009, 02:25:45 am »

The usual disclaimer: I'm not saying these questions are bad or otherwise unfit for DF Talk discussion, just providing answers where I can.

2. Do you intend to add more role-playing elements to the process of creating an adventurer? I'm talking about something like the questions asked in ADOM but I'd love to hear any of the ideas you have and also possibly when you envisage being able to incorporate them (more what order of priority it would have amongst other plans, not an exact time date).

We've got these dev items:

# SCENARIOS ARC: Character generation is due for a major change. The current plan is to have an interactive history generator that takes your character from birth to a playable age, incorporating them into the fabric of the world. Pressing "Play Now!" would answer the questions automatically, perhaps with a strong tendency to place you in dire/interesting situations. Related to Core75, Core76, Req214, Req317, Bloat26 and Bloat143.

# Core75, ADVENTURER GENERATION AND SCENARIOS, (Future): The adventurer is quite a nebulous object at this point. There are a variety of angles that can be taken here, from weaving the adventurer fulling into their starting location's history, actually playing an existing creature in the world, creating starting scenarios that at least make sense of the adventurer's existence and/or mysterious arrival, etc.

And also a discussion from the List thread:

Spoiler: for brevity (click to show/hide)

1. Will the speed of creatures be changed to more realistic levels so that for instance a dwarf would never be able to outrun a deer no matter how perfectly agile he is?

2. Will creatures be given separate walk/run speeds that they use at different times and for different reasons?

This also came up in the List thread:

Spoiler: for brevity (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 02:35:39 am by Footkerchief »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2009, 07:59:58 am »

Thanks, Foot :)

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2009, 10:11:21 am »

We've all heard about the big changes coming with regards to tissue layers and all of that, but what about bones? Specifically, how will this affect the bone crafting industry? Right now there's some weird idiosyncrasies, eg. a stack of 16 elephant bones and a stack of 2 groundhog bones make the same amount of crafts, but then if you dismember the groundhog first you'll get more stacks for each limb you tear off. Will the new tissue system do something to fix this?
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2009, 10:38:29 am »

What is the ETA for the next release?
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2009, 04:15:05 pm »

Will the various pause events in the game be given a init option?

Sometimes, i just want DF to run in the background for 20 in game years so i don't have to worry about stupid crap popping up, pausing the game, and wasting my time by having to check/unpause constantly.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2009, 05:39:18 pm »

From the last thread:

How much inter-race diversity are you aiming for in either genetics or culture?  Will it ever be more significant than belonging to a different species?

How do you see tutorials being implemented?  Will you focus around gradually making more and more of the game available to the new player, and/or try to create a deep sort of contextual help screen?  And will scripting tools ever be released to let players create fully ingame tutorials?

Do you think you can/will model evolution well over the course of world gen?

When running a whole civilization, I'd expect (and hope) that a great amount of the decisions made would at least have the option of being automated.  Have you thought a great deal about developing a comprehensive way to enable/disable automation on a smaller scale (like with governors in several games?)  This would be a way to help out the learning curve.

Do you have any plans on letting creatures leave or come in through the borders of the generated regions?  Will there be any way to travel between regions (assuming the raws are kept the same?)

Will you release a scripting tool to let people create more story-focused games with Dwarf Fortress's complexity, if they want to?

Will we see any math-related easter eggs in the game?

Heh.  I can't think of any new ones.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2009, 08:12:15 pm »

Will moods apply to surgery?

Will the quality of surgical implements affect the outcome or speed of an operation?

What does the new health care system add to adv mode?

Will maggots be able to substitute medical treatment for rotting flesh?

If invaders can burrow, will they pop up like vermin, or leave permanent damage to soil layers?

Do you ever intend to make constructions (walls, for example) destructible?

Also:
Have you ever been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 06:48:20 am by Chronas »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14