Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Your Questions!  (Read 57124 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Your Questions!
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2009, 08:17:00 pm »

Also:
Have you ever been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

I'm sorry, can you rephrase this? I have no idea what this means at all.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2009, 08:24:15 pm »

Indeed, wat.

Now, regarding contructions, they aready are destructible, but only in fortress mode and only a few creatures can do such a thing, which is sure to be changed in future releases.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2009, 08:43:17 pm »

Also:
Have you ever been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Oh you.
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2009, 10:29:51 pm »

More from me.

Are there plans to extend the current (Fey, Sinister, Fell, etcetera) Mood system to all skills or professions? Or will they be limited to the purely creative (ie, skills that directly relate to things being made) skills? Would a Surgeon in a Mood randomly amputate a random Dwarf's (or his own) arm and replace it with a successful and jewel-studded Groundhog limb? Would a Fell Mood Herbalist kill a Dwarf and grow a Dwarfflesh Berry Bush?

And another one.

With the advent of groups, Guilds, stronger personality traits, etcetera, can a Dwarf's beliefs isolate him from the rest of the Fortress' society? Would, for example, a Dwarf the believes strongly in justice, in a Fort with no assigned Sherrif or poorly enfoced Justice system, consider taking things into his own hands and become a vigilante? Or a Dwarf obsessed with cleanliness decide to turn his Cleaning labours on and turn everything off? Basically, how much potential is there for a Dwarf to go rogue or renegade?
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2009, 03:12:53 am »

Will the various pause events in the game be given a init option?

Sometimes, i just want DF to run in the background for 20 in game years so i don't have to worry about stupid crap popping up, pausing the game, and wasting my time by having to check/unpause constantly.

The next version will let you disable pause-recenters for everything except siege arrivals.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2009, 03:35:31 am »

Will there be more advanced targeting in the future, I don't like the fact that you randomly hack at stuff now, like VATS or something?
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2009, 05:22:41 am »

Have you considered how multi-tile monsters will work in ASCII? It's easy to involve them in a graphical interface, but are you imagining dragons as a cluster of flashing Ds, or something more like a ballista or wagon?

Yeah, it's kind of an out-there question, but it'd be interesting to see how Toady's imagining it, even if the eventual reality turns out differently.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2009, 06:23:44 am »

Question from a game dev perspective. I've only been amateur programming for four or five years. DF is a single game that has been developing for longer than that. So,

How many lines of code does Dwarf Fortress roughly amount to?

Is this rapidly [steadily, haltingly, undulatingly...] increasing over time, or are you mainly making refinements to existing code?

kommissarnicko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2009, 06:30:37 am »

I casually watch what's going on in the forums, and I think I noticed this one in the thread for Talk #2, but it deserves repeating...

Do you have any plans for implementing some of the items proposed in Eternal Suggestions? In particular, I'm interested in both improved hauling and septic systems.

Septic systems I'm especially interested to see. The greatest civilization of the ancient world (Rome, after all) was distinguished almost exclusively by its amazing plumbing and septic engineering.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2009, 09:38:15 am »

I don't remember if someone talked about it before but...

Right now, DF is in Alpha. But everyone is aiming for the V1 and there's no mention of a Beta state before. So my question is : Will the V1 be the "Beta" version of DF or will there be an intermediate stage between the alpha and the v1 ?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2009, 10:15:15 am »

Do you have any plans for implementing some of the items proposed in Eternal Suggestions? In particular, I'm interested in both improved hauling and septic systems.

The top ten entries in ESV are going to get special consideration for the series of releases following the upcoming one:

Quote from: DF Talk 1 Transcript
This also turned out, as far as the timing of 'when are we going to see this kind of thing', there's the return of the guilds, or I don't remember exactly what it's called, up in the eternal suggestions voting up on the suggestions list and it's doing pretty well. I said I'd take a look at the top ones there for next time - now by next time I mean the next series of releases because I really hope I never have a release this long again, it's going to be over a year - so in the short term we're going to be looking at this stuff, it's not like it's just something I'm talking about; we're going to look at this along with the adventurer's skills stuff and the improved sieges; job priorities; improved hauling; I don't remember if improved farming is up there; increased tile support for graphics ... whatever things were up there that people wanted we're going to be looking at.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2009, 01:40:15 pm »

I think he realizes that, the question (as I read it) is more along the lines of asking how Toady intends to implement it, in a technical capacity.  Some of those suggestions are pretty "opened ended" in terms of how exactly to implement them, after all.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2009, 03:27:53 pm »

What kind of music are you interested in, Toady?

Are there any plans to add Naga into DF? As my favorite fantasy race, I'd love it if they were in.

How soon will different civs of the same race be different? That is, having different dialects, slightly different morals, etc.

You said that you liked the 3D visualizer programs. Would you consider taking one of those and putting it in DF to replace the current visualizer? That is, with the creator's permission and all that.

Why aren't there penguins in the vanilla game?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2009, 03:30:27 pm »

Are there any plans to add Naga into DF? As my favorite fantasy race, I'd love it if they were in.

They sorta already are: Snakemen.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2009, 04:16:55 pm »

I keep getting more questions.

Since Soap is now useful, will it be upgraded in any way - perhaps having a sudsy reaction when exposed to running water?

WAIT READ THIS AGAIN I GOT ANOTHER ONE

On the subject of soap, what is the consumption rate? Does a bar wear down, like clothing or food, or is it produced as a stack of Soap (10)?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 11:30:47 pm by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14