Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Your Questions!  (Read 57034 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Your Questions!
« on: September 01, 2009, 05:44:27 pm »

We should be recording the next Dwarf Fortress Talk at the end of the month, and we'll be answering your questions again.

Please post the questions you'd like to appear on show.  The other hosts will be picking some of them.  Due to time constraints, we will not be able to answer every question!  But you can just ask again next time if you like.

It would help us out if you post your questions like this?
You can do this with
Code: [Select]
[b][color=limegreen]like this?[/color][/b]

Please note that I won't be answering the questions here in this thread as you ask them, since we are saving them for the show!
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Your Questions!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 07:08:53 pm »

First post!

Can you conquer and rule over other civilivations? Can you make them pay you tribute, soldiers or goods? If you can will imposing low to none taxs on them make them like you and be more loyal?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 03:43:25 am by realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 07:47:35 pm »

I'm going to repost my question from last time, since megabeasts didn't get as much coverage. (Hearing about the siege stuff was fun, so I didn't mind)

What are your ultimate goals for Megabeasts and Semimegabeasts? Will they use equipment, create objects, form roving groups? Interact with one another? I know Titans and Cyclopses were often the makers of great things in Greek mythology, would it be possible to come across a Cyclops cave with a giant forge and giant-size equipment he has created for other (semi)megabeasts?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

guyinthecrowd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 08:44:12 pm »

Posting these questions again:

Question #1: Will the environment a dwarf is raised in affect what they like/dislike? For example, if a dwarf is unhappy as a child being raised in a fortress made entirely out of mined Orthoclase, will said dwarf dislike Orthoclase as an adult? Or as a counter-example, If a dwarf is happy whilst being raised in a room of Kaolinite, will said dwarf like Kaolinite when they become an adult?

Question #2: Is it possible that you could maybe put Scamps in the game? Like maybe as a roaming invulnerable kitten with an exotic tag? We could train it to claw at the face of invading elves, steal their paper, and go up in their cave and eat it.
Kill the babys. DO IT FOR SCIENCE

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 08:49:46 pm »

One of my questions from last time: At one point during the first talk someone mentioned gods as playable entities, what would gameplay as a god be like?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 08:52:03 pm by timmeh »
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

A_Big_Bear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 10:36:56 pm »

Question: Toady what do you do to calm down when your angry?

Goberfish

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 10:42:27 pm »

Are there any plans for world domination via brainwashing techniques through Dwarf Fortress?

Emperor Iones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 10:58:28 pm »

Question: Will workshops ever require tools, possibly made by craftdwarves?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 10:16:39 pm by Emperor Iones »

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 07:29:33 am »

A few questions while listening to the last one.

Dwarven strongholds seem to have tunnels between them, would it be possible to eventually make one of those in fortress mode?(Probably useful to get migrants and dwarf caravans while being sieged)

Unfortunatly, I could not listen to the whole thing at once, so I'll probably post another question later.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 08:19:48 am »

Just seemed like an appropriate question.   :)

Do you think later on that it will be possible (or practical) to use items (money, jewelry, small stones off the ground...) as a wieldable weapon in adventure?

Also... Do you think gods will be able to craft legendary items of worship which could possibly form the basis for sub religions or something like that?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 09:04:06 am by Coilgunner »
Sweet mother of God! I just arrived in adventure mode and the sturgeon is still spitting out bits of dwarf!

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 08:53:11 am »

Will it be possible, in the future to create a creature that grows a part and removes it, say a porcupineman who grows spines and can use them as throwing weapons without it harming him?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:13:28 pm by alfie275 »
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 09:08:11 am »

What is the planned process for making the game run through time?  At what point do breeding populations of people get added in?

This is less 'run the game for more plot' and more 'after playing a 100 year fort, everyone shouldn't be dead if I try adventure mode.'

How awesome would it be if the only way to tell what a random megabeast was going to do to you was to (sic) run to your sage and ask him about the legends of the beast and read about what he's done in the past?  Any plans to make legends mode accessible to Dwarf or Adventure modes?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 09:23:36 am by Granite26 »

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 10:25:24 am »

In the first talk, you mentioned that sometime soon the interactions between different religious, family, and guild factions would become important to gameplay.  Could you give more specifics on the game effects of these interactions and how you would be able to affect them, other than managing  room quality and changing the happiness of various people?

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 11:03:44 am »

you mentioned the hydra. will it become poisonous, like the mythological example, now that we have poison ?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:12:18 pm by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 11:45:09 am »

It was mentioned goblins(Invaders in general) will find ways to get past your traps, how can they possibly hope to deal with the more complicated traps? As example, a trap that first floods a room with water, and then magma to make obsidian, it would be next to impossible to survive that.(And can we mine out obsidian statues of goblins from it?)

On megabeasts, when hydras will get fixed so they have the same amount of skulls as they have heads/brains? And that they don't die after just one of those heads/brains are gone, or even get more heads when one gets cut off?
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14