Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Your Questions!  (Read 56771 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Your Questions!
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 11:52:00 am »

Any thoughts about handling creatures with more complicated abilities, like doppelgangers?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 11:54:28 am »

oooh good one.

On a related note, how do you see the AI for creatures with special abilities, and in particular multiple special abilities playing out?  Obviously a doppleganger will have behaviours other critters don't have.  What about flaming dopplegangers?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 12:07:58 pm »

Ok, I had a bunch of questions but this is the only one I remember clearly at the moment; From the bloats and Treetoe stories and such I have understood that once the magic arc comes around there might be magic protesis, mechanical arms and such, now the question is, if one keept getting such replacements could a scenario similar to the tin woodsman from Ozz occur, in which every part is replaced at a time until the entire creature is completely artificial, but with the same soul? Would this be recognised by the game as different from being only partially replaced and have recuperations?

Old questions from the last thread that are still relevant:

1) Will it always be so that first there is a long time of worldgen, and then the player plays evrything on a much shorter timescale, or will automatic worldgen become just another mode you can enter and then make it simulate until some parameter is met? SO that you could create an empty world, go in in and play as a god and create it in year 0, then go into worldgen mode and fastforward a few thousand years and play in the world you created. Or create a world like normal, and then after playing a fort instead of going in adventure mode directly you fast-forward a millennia so you get all these effects like moss and erosion and old things moving into your old forts? Or you could have a word were you gen a few hundred years, run an adventurer, generate another few hundred years, another adventurer, etc. until your world is tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of years old? Would such a worldgen mode have other parameters beyond the amount of time that should pass?

2) Somewhat related to the previous question, will there be support for different topologies of the world? Currently it seems like the world is just a subsection of something larger, in the future could one have a spherical world? a toroid world? A circular world with waterfalls going of the edges? If the world is created in some way by gods or the creation is otherwise simulated directly, will one be able to chose if it stars with land, sea, void chasm-like tiles, or something else before the gods start(ed) working on it?

3)You mentioned in the teaser that there might be different skillsets for treating animals and dwarves, but what about other intelligent races? What about a human, an elf, a goblin, a kobold, a centaur, a slugman, etc. The entire sliding scale seems sort of covered so were will the border betwen something using the doctor and veterinarian skills actually go?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 03:36:35 pm »

In case the sieging goblins COULD dig, will there be "hidden attacks" where they dispatch a hidden goblin scout to map your fortress and obtain valuable information on its underground whereabouts before attacking instead of just blindly looking for it? And can they enter from underground and remain completely hidden until they pierce one of the wall in your fortress, completely bypassing the traps, arriving exactly in the Kings bedroom? Concerning that, can walls be reinforced, requiring, say, enchanted(later in game) or adamantine picks to be able to mine them out?

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 03:41:52 pm »

If various civs can have members of other races in them (via slavery, kidnapping, adoption, conquering, subjugation, etc) will a dwarf mode fort ever have the chance to have, say, an adopted human come in with an immigrant wave?

Ixoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 03:42:03 pm »

How large is the Dwarf Fortress codebase in lines. (including all associated files)
Haha, Didn't get an answer last time, maybe if I ask earlier. :D

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 04:11:41 pm »

Re: code size, that would be interesting.
I read in an article somewhere that it was over 100,000 lines of code.  Hard to imagine, but I think that's what it said.  It was the article that also mentioned the function name flingify()

My question(s):
There are many many bugs reported, which is acceptable in an Alpha release game.  Since you are currently adding tons of features, approx how much time do you spend on fixing bugs from the various bug reports?  Will you have a bug-fixing frenzy after this next major release?  Or is it not worth it since buggy code gets rewritten regularly with these large enhancements?
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 04:53:09 pm »

1. Will there be drugs, such as Dwarven LSD, Dwarven Cocaine and other drugs? If so will dwarves start having their own black market operations that could be going on under your nose?

2. What type of tools are you using to test the game? I know you've got at least one or two awesome tools that you've made that mess with the dwarves/other creatures.
I would like to point out that this is not DF 3.0, but DF 0.3.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 05:15:46 pm »

On the subject of Titans:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also:

Will names ever be split along gender lines to help make it easier to distinguish characters' gender? (e.g. Urist is a male name or somesuch)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 05:51:43 pm by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 08:34:55 pm »

Any plans for subterranean civilizations (dwellers of the world-spanning caves, I mean)

Can you find features like magma, underground rivers, chasms ect. in the world-spanning caves?

Caves pique my curiosity.   ;D
You have struck Microcline!

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 09:25:45 pm »

Will you eventually add a "create your own dwarf" feature where you create your very own dwarf from his skills all the way to his traits?
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2009, 09:57:00 pm »

Will you eventually add a "create your own dwarf" feature where you create your very own dwarf from his skills all the way to his traits?

I highly doubt this. Toady's skeptical enough about allowing a sandbox mode that lets you fight dragons whenever you want; custom-building dwarves would be another step that could remove/invalidate the game's randomness.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 10:18:57 pm »

when hydras will get fixed so they have the same amount of skulls as they have heads/brains? And that they don't die after just one of those heads/brains are gone, or even get more heads when one gets cut off?

Apperantly this has to do a lot with the "Hydra test" that Toady has in his FoTF topic. So you should have it by next release if not soon after

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 11:33:49 pm »

Will it be possible to someday 'seed' starting populations of civs with specific traits when you start world-gen? Like specifying that a fortress be of light sinned, red-haired dwarves, a human town with all dark-skinned people, and a Dark Tower with goblins that have dark green skin and super big ears or something? Might fit with a god-mode, if that ever went in.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2009, 12:46:29 am »

As populations begin to be tracked for longer periods of time, will thier skills develop.  For example a legends line, 'Tekkud became a farmer in Closetcloistered, in 107.'  When that Tekkud immigrates to a fortress in 132, will he have 25 years of farming skill devlopment?

Also if skills, relationships, quirks, etc. are developed and recorded into the population during worldgen.  Will the selection of dwarves for embarking to start a new fortress be able to pick a party out of the population, allowing starting with a legendary building designer?

"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14