Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #2: Feedback  (Read 41408 times)

Puller of the lever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #2: Feedback
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2009, 08:12:45 am »

How much time before the transcript? I have no chance to understand that spoken english.  :P

Working on it now and it'll probably be done in about 4-5 days, but I get access to it at the same time as everyone else, so apologies.
Ok, no problem, thanks for the work.  ;D

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2009, 09:03:25 am »

The reason it seems like Toady shouldn't have been able to hear me is simply because of the difference in volume during recording and playback. Because the method used to record stores all sound from skype as a single channel, there isn't a way to equalize volume without a lot of extra work.

Hmmm, suxor.

Other than that, this was EXCELLENT.  A+ quality

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2009, 09:17:42 am »

How much time before the transcript? I have no chance to understand that spoken english.  :P

Working on it now and it'll probably be done in about 4-5 days, but I get access to it at the same time as everyone else, so apologies.
Ok, no problem, thanks for the work.  ;D

Not to mention those who are hard of hearing/deaf would appreciate it.

I'm prettty sure I'm not the only hard of hearing/deaf Dwarf Fortress player and maybe around here on the forums.

BTW, I REALLY HATE sound based puzzles that crop up often in RPG adventure games. If they are accompanied by visual cues, thats better, but if I were to design a game, I would do away with sound based puzzles unless they had multiple cues.

Silfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2009, 09:36:33 am »

I'm hard of hearing AND German. I want my transcript so bad :(

evktalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2009, 10:22:08 am »

Good podcast, I'm about halfway through. Interesting and fun to listen to. This one sounds more focused than the first one - starting from a topic (sieges this time) seems to improve this.

--Eino

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2009, 11:57:13 am »

Amazing, just... amazing.

I am at a loss of words, listening to these talks are probably just about the most solidly enjoyable experience I've had in months, which probably only goes to illustrate how sad my life is, but still...

The laughter, Toady's calm voice, that soothing music, and all that wonderful wonderful information about DF... It's simply addicting, it actually induces a trance, and I in no way am exaggeration when i'm saying this, the way these talks are structured are the phsycological equivalent of strange matter, it's like a drug in audio rather than chemical form. I'm physically feeling dizzy, that indescribable ecstasy is still lingering.
This is not empty words or purple prose, it is the literal truth, perhaps I am simply just that nerdy, or perhaps it has to do with how much DF means to me on a personal level.

I had the questions thread opened while listening, and I got a buch of things I wondered, but I were simply to deeply absorbed to pause and write them down. I have a million things I would have liked to ask, maybe I will once the transcript comes out.

One thing I remembered thou, was my tree question. While your answere was great, and I am deeply, DEEPLY honoured to have it included in the podcast, however some parts of the uestion went undressed, and the most ones that I spesificaly still wonder abaut are:
* Hollow trees?
* Individualising traits on thees, such as scars and such, or strange ways they grow, or interacting with nearby objects and terain fetures, and other things that justify them being enough of individuals for the elves naming them and their mythological importnance?
* non-tree vegetation, like grasses and undergrowth and grazing and farming?

Obviously, the best would be to simply get all the mini questions in there answered... shuld I copy it to FotF, or is it to far away in the development cycle for that?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2009, 01:31:03 pm »

Glad so many people like it!  And Armok, you should probably submit the question to another part of the forum where Toady answers questions directly, I'm sure he would be glad to answer you.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2009, 01:39:50 pm »

Come on little numbers. Come on, little numbers!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2009, 01:47:16 pm »

Amazing, just... amazing.

I am at a loss of words, listening to these talks are probably just about the most solidly enjoyable experience I've had in months, which probably only goes to illustrate how sad my life is, but still...

The laughter, Toady's calm voice, that soothing music, and all that wonderful wonderful information about DF... It's simply addicting, it actually induces a trance, and I in no way am exaggeration when i'm saying this, the way these talks are structured are the phsycological equivalent of strange matter, it's like a drug in audio rather than chemical form. I'm physically feeling dizzy, that indescribable ecstasy is still lingering.
This is not empty words or purple prose, it is the literal truth, perhaps I am simply just that nerdy, or perhaps it has to do with how much DF means to me on a personal level.

I had the questions thread opened while listening, and I got a buch of things I wondered, but I were simply to deeply absorbed to pause and write them down. I have a million things I would have liked to ask, maybe I will once the transcript comes out.

One thing I remembered thou, was my tree question. While your answere was great, and I am deeply, DEEPLY honoured to have it included in the podcast, however some parts of the uestion went undressed, and the most ones that I spesificaly still wonder abaut are:
* Hollow trees?
* Individualising traits on thees, such as scars and such, or strange ways they grow, or interacting with nearby objects and terain fetures, and other things that justify them being enough of individuals for the elves naming them and their mythological importnance?
* non-tree vegetation, like grasses and undergrowth and grazing and farming?

Obviously, the best would be to simply get all the mini questions in there answered... shuld I copy it to FotF, or is it to far away in the development cycle for that?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yargh >< Transcript soon please?!? :)

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2009, 02:41:59 pm »

What a great way to close out - Toady singing about Scamps, then a crazy unedited segment of Toady trying to snakecharm his computer and The Return of Kobold Quest!

Aquizzar gets the prize for first recorded observation of "hidden podcast fun stuff!"
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2009, 03:14:09 pm »

Scy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2009, 03:16:06 pm »

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2009, 03:16:26 pm »

Just realised that. I FEEL DUMB TODAY  :-X

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2009, 04:29:09 pm »

Very nice interview. Good humor, I genuinely laughed a few times. Choice of topics was interesting.

I really like the concept of randomized megabeasts. Hopefully it will bring up even Blob or the Thing style encounters. Using Titans as the first random creature is cool. Chimeras and Cockatrices would be another good concept for such creatures with mixed pieces from other animals. Golems  could be a base for random Bronze Collosus style opponents.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2009, 05:30:05 pm »

Everything went much better this time then last.

The main problem though is that Aspersand (or however you spell his name) probably needed a better microphone. (assuming I got the right person). Actually that was just about the only problem and likely unavoidable. So basically this went as well as what could be expected.

I am surprised I got one of my questions answered, though Toady mistook what I meant.

When I said Timescale I meant in the sense that Gods can sometimes do things for thousands of years or space out their actions.

In otherwords, unlike people, however heroic. How was toady going to represent the fact that gods arn't really going to be doing something interesting everyday, every year, or even every century.

But Judging by what he said he isn't sure and is FAR FAR away from that part of the game.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 06:24:07 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9