Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What to do with caged goblins?  (Read 5368 times)

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do with caged goblins?
« on: August 20, 2006, 07:22:00 pm »

Because of my numerous cage traps at the entrances to my fortress, I've captured a bunch (but not enough, bah) of goblins.  But the question is, what should I do with them?  I don't have a half-dozen nobles that like goblins, I can't slaughter them, and I can't drown them unless if I spend a ton of time to put them in the floodgate farm room and rig up a lever to release then, because they don't drown in their cages.

Perhaps you should be able to tie hostile / invader enemies to ropes and keep them as practice for your dwarves.  Naturally, they wouldn't last so long, but at least it'd get rid of them and serve a use at the same time.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with caged goblins?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 07:33:00 pm »

I just restarted, but my plan this time is to make a room with lots of the fortification arrow slits, release the cage inside there, and try using the released bugger for target practice.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 07:34:00 pm »

See if selling them (along with the cages) to traders adds value to the cage. :P

Dehydration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 09:26:00 pm »

I actually really like the idea of using them for practice, though I imagine that as with bear-baiting you'd see a significant amount of risk to the dwarves you were "training".
 shouldn''t trust the phones. They''re full of gas.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 09:47:00 pm »

That's why I want to lock him in a room and shoot him through the walls  :D

Arcanum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 09:52:00 pm »

Maybe allow sentient creatures (goblins, lizardmen, frogmen, etc.) to be "trained" to be slaves?  They can haul stuff around, and do some mining, but nothing more interesting, and they try to escape if some of their kind show up.  On the up side, they don't throw tantrums, don't eat much, and sleep on the floor.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 10:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Arcanum:
<STRONG>Maybe allow sentient creatures (goblins, lizardmen, frogmen, etc.) to be "trained" to be slaves?  They can haul stuff around, and do some mining, but nothing more interesting, and they try to escape if some of their kind show up.  On the up side, they don't throw tantrums, don't eat much, and sleep on the floor.</STRONG>

I like it! I don't know about mining though - for dwarves, mining is an art. You can't just hand a pick to some slobbering braindead amphibian and expect them to carve out a room to your satisfaction.

It should probably be limited to hauling and other things that don't require any kind of tools or intelligence. Farming, fishing, etc. (And I bet snake and toad men would be naturals at fishing...)

Escape would be a constant risk though, and there'd be a chance of them tantruming out.

bloodyfool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 07:40:00 am »

Then we'll need a slave driver proffesion and the ability to craft hairy marmot leather whips..

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 07:59:00 am »

Well, the dungeon master opens the possibilities to tame more creatures. I just got one and was able to tame my giant toad.  :D

Wonder if it works with intelligent beings.

pauli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 08:05:00 am »

i think we should be able to build thunderdome. either let goblins fight for entertainment, or duel with them to build up experience.

[ August 21, 2006: Message edited by: pauli ]

Slime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 08:35:00 am »

It would make sense to be able to have slaves. Unpaid, living off vermin or whatever game they can catch themselves. Maybe will allow you to train all your dwarves without having them hauling crap.

TheOtherHorseman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 11:05:00 am »

Step 1:

New profession: Slave Master
New room: Arena
New game: Capturing frogmen and then releasing them in the arena to fight starving wolves.

Step 2:

???

Step 3:

Profit!

Note: ??? = happy dwarves

Slime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 11:06:00 am »

Maybe they can bet on the result, too. Something new for the more well off to do.

TheOtherHorseman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 11:39:00 am »

I want to build special viewing rooms for the nobles and cheap seats for the unwashed masses.

Woodstock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 01:45:00 pm »

SEATS for the masses? No, they shall stand.
Pages: [1] 2