Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Does the internet need it's own language?  (Read 4161 times)

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Does the internet need it's own language?
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2009, 12:41:11 pm »

I'm familiar with the loss of babble-sounds, but I thought that acquiring new sounds for adults is still reasonable. Perhaps I'm wrong, though--I'll keep an eye out for evidence.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2009, 06:46:50 pm »

The acquisition of new sounds for adults is possible, just much more difficult to pull off sounding natural. Once a person learns a language, they can learn -any- language generally speaking.

This is after all what accents are all about. The inability for an adult to precisely replicate language sounds in a language that is not his or her native tongue or dialect.
!!&!!

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2009, 10:29:19 pm »

I say we make a language called LoLjban, that is designed to be extremely ambiguous and illogical while still following rules and usable as a language.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2009, 01:59:48 am »

Back on topic though, does the internet need it's own language? I say no. Broadly speaking, a language is useless if it is confined to a single medium. While there have been kinds of languages that do not have a spoken form, such as Inca Knot messages, they have obvious deficiencies for everyday communication.

What is needed instead is not necessarily a complete international universal language, but perhaps something of an intermediary language, that software systems can translate one input language into, then translating the result into the desired output. This is preferred over direct translation because of the many obvious and often hilarious problems that occur doing to overlapping meanings and spellings.

Lojban seems likely in this regard, as it's the sort of language a Computer would like, if not a human.                   

Esperanto, on the other hand has the benefit of being immediately accessible to anyone, with students able to learn it quickly from California to Vietnam. The only problem being that the creator of the language decided it necessary to create characters like ĉ, ĝ, ĥ, ĵ, ŝ, and  ŭ, the reasoning for this arising from his One Phoneme per Letter rule, rough approximations of these being Ch, like the J in Judge, ch as in Bach, as the g in Beige, Sh, and ŭ being roughly equivalent to the english w in Ow.

The ĝ and ĵ do sound rather alike, the difference being that ĝ begins with the tongue against the roof of the mouth, while ĵ does not.

The benefit of all this being that you will never not know how to pronounce a word, there are no strange pronunciation rules as in French, English, and German.
!!&!!

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2009, 03:19:09 pm »

Esperanto has its own problems, notably, one phoneme often makes a huge difference in the vocabulary. More than in natural languages--it can be a problem.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2009, 03:28:47 pm »

Spoiler: Transalation (click to show/hide)
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]