Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aiming large on my first megaproject.  (Read 1039 times)

Zwebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aiming large on my first megaproject.
« on: September 02, 2009, 11:04:07 pm »

I have been a casual DF player for about a year, now, ever since .40d was released. I quit for a while, and have recently come back. All of my fortresses have failed in the first two years of their groundbreaking, due to me neglecting some part of my needs, but I have recently made several fortresses that were sustainable. This made me sad, because part most of my fun had come from fighting off impending doom in my fortress. So I have decided to begin a construction of some sort. After some thought, I'd decided on having my entire fortress be held up by one support, attatched to a lever, at the bottom of a large (12 by 12 or so, and as far down as I can dig) hole that I will dig throughout the construction of the fort. In addition to this, I will expand my fortress as high as it can go, and build outwards from the core tower, nothing but the support, and a single drawbridge, touching the ground. To make things Extra Dwarfy, I will make the 'arms' of the fort in compartments, separated from each other by a single floor tile, so that I can drop a compartment off of the tower at a moment's discretion.

I am going to have water pumped throughout the fortress, channel it down the fortress core, and recieve all power from within the fortress, no water-wheels outside of the fortress proper.

Is there some way to connect the compartments in such a way that they will not fall, but I do not have to use the 'remove construction' order to make them fall? Like, through a grate, or something? I would like the detaching process to be as quick as dwarvenly possible.

Any additional suggestions, for extra dwarfyness?

Also, I am new to the forums, this being my first post. Don't murder me!
SYMMETRY!
 YOU! GROUND! I don't dig you 'till I figure out the absolute perfect thing to add to you. NEVER 'TILL THEN!
 You leader, you will be named after a god. YOUR POSITION IS RA, SUN GOD.
 I need a pit! I'm not even going to drop anything down it, I just want a pit! And no weaksauce 5x5 pits either, half the goddam mountain is gonna be an underground pit when I'm done.

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
Re: Aiming large on my first megaproject.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 11:19:29 pm »

You could turn off cave-ins so you have your sections floating in mid air. You should shape the fort into something cool and post pics using a visualizer.

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 12:05:05 pm »

Flood the hole with magma after you finish building. I tried that once, although without supporting the whole thing with only one pillar.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5925-mysterylances

Kulantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 01:58:56 pm »

Floor out to one level below the wing and place a support to rest the wing on then use a bridge to allow dwarves to get there.

Code: [Select]
WWW====WWWW
  I____WWWW
       WWWW

I is support
__ is floor
W is wall
== is bridge

Should drop when the support's lever is pulled.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 02:07:59 pm »

You could build a land mine (single floor tile on a support) over the floor tile connecting the wings.  Collapse the support and the floor tile is instantly smashed.  Connect the drop-tile to a ceiling 2 z-levels above the "bridge," if you don't want an unsightly support right in the middle of it.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

taf_esra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 02:35:11 pm »

This sounds exactly like my last megaproject. One big ass fortress with all z levels dug out surrounded by water up to the max z-level. The fortress is held up in the tower of water by one support.

Zwebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 03:10:18 pm »

Thanks for the advice. I am planning on beginning construction today. I plan this to be a construction that will end only when the Fortress is brought to some unfortunate fate.

You could build a land mine (single floor tile on a support) over the floor tile connecting the wings.  Collapse the support and the floor tile is instantly smashed.  Connect the drop-tile to a ceiling 2 z-levels above the "bridge," if you don't want an unsightly support right in the middle of it.

I think I'm going to use this, as the way to destroy the wings. I'll probably have the support on the underside of another wing, because I've read on the Discussion page on supports that you can support something by the ceiling, if it was supported before that.
SYMMETRY!
 YOU! GROUND! I don't dig you 'till I figure out the absolute perfect thing to add to you. NEVER 'TILL THEN!
 You leader, you will be named after a god. YOUR POSITION IS RA, SUN GOD.
 I need a pit! I'm not even going to drop anything down it, I just want a pit! And no weaksauce 5x5 pits either, half the goddam mountain is gonna be an underground pit when I'm done.

OneRaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 10:14:29 pm »

Flood the hole with magma after you finish building. I tried that once, although without supporting the whole thing with only one pillar.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5925-mysterylances

I want to see this is a visualizer  ;D
Messing with hardcoded stuff is playing with fire. And we all know how dwarves react to fire.

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 08:38:38 pm »

Hi, welcome to the forums. Have you seen the wiki? http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Main_Page

That could help answer any questions you have. This project seems pretty epic - I'm working on a dwarven airship at the moment. Post some rendered pictures once you're finished.