Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Free, with purchase...  (Read 17488 times)

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
Free, with purchase...
« on: September 03, 2009, 01:00:19 am »

So, I decided to try out the new development release., genned a new world, and established:

Glimmerfortress the Legendary Gear-Song of Treasures

The first two seasons are completely uneventful, really. Standard getting to know-the-countryside and mountain they live in. This site was unique for me as it's my first site where 90% of the water on the map is frozen for 3 seasons out of the year, and there is also a crevice.. Possibly a bottomless pit, I'm not sure, so this will have many new attributes for me to play with... The mountain itself is VERY steep. I wanted to see how well the game would run with the new graphics and these additional burdens. It's also a 9x9 area. -- It's running great, by the by.

Finally, the traders get there.. All that manages to make it to me are 2 Dwarven mules... Fine, maybe they sent me a small shipment, no problem.

But hey... I don't have much to trade.. So I purchase a sack of seeds to use at my eventual dyer.. An investment, I feel... and on a whim, I purchase 1 nickel cage.

This is where things get unique. It was billed as 'nickel cage' and only appraised as being worth 20.

Lo and behold... I get it inside, open it up, and peer in on accident at some point, only to discover that, within, IS A DEAD CAT.

Now, is this some special 'free with cage' type of deal the Dwarves offer, am I being sent a message by the local Dwarven Mafia, or... or what?  Also... How do I remove said dead cat from cage?

Rion Wulfe

(Seriously.. WTF?)
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

Polymorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Free, with purchase...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 01:05:04 am »

It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 01:10:53 am »

Build the cage and open it.

I think assigning the body to be dumped might work too.

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 01:20:40 am »

Catsplosions are overrated. Grizzlysplosions on the other hand...

The cat should be removed if you have a refuse stockpile. It's corpse'll disappear next season, leaving behind some bones. It'll be worth it.

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 01:29:44 am »

Thank you for the suggestions... But that still leaves the question... Why did I get an ex-cat free with purchase?
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 01:32:11 am »

What happened is the Traders brought a Cat with them onto your map, but because the climate is too cold the Cat died. The Mules survived because Mules are better in cold than Cats. There were probably some other cages with dead animals in them too.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 03:28:50 am »

Of course, prepare for a corpseflood when the elves bring their animals to trade.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 03:51:23 am »

Vester, your Avatar appears to have gone Terminator.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 04:19:15 am »

The skin'll grow back eventually.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 05:15:22 am »

I see. It's a very smooth cut.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 05:37:47 am »

Thank you for the suggestions... But that still leaves the question... Why did I get an ex-cat free with purchase?
The corpse costs 0 coins.

So you have thw cage for 20 coins + corpse for 0 coins = 20 coins for the full set.
Finis sanctificat media.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 06:27:40 am »

I get it inside, open it up, and peer in on accident at some point, only to discover that, within, IS A DEAD CAT.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.
Of course, you know that before it was opened the cat was both dead and alive... :)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 06:28:37 am »

Hmm. so you get the useful stuff (bones, skin etc) even sooner than normal, and pay nothing for the privilege? Awesome.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 06:37:01 am »

Leather and bonecrafts. Yum.

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 06:37:25 am »

So... Let me get this straight.

Caravans bring schloads of critters to me... but, the idiots aren't smart enough to check weather.com first, and most of the critters die off.. (Which, by the way, apparently causes huge lag upon the caravan hitting the map, I just discovered).

Then, they decide 'oh what the hey, we'll cut our losses and just sell the cages...'... So now I can purchase these relatively cheap cages, melt them down or whatever, and I get free corpses.

I don't have a problem with this.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5