Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Free, with purchase...  (Read 17489 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Free, with purchase...
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 06:41:08 am »

Actually they sell you the corpse as well, but corpses are worth 0 dwarfbucks.

So basically yes.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 09:02:34 am »

"Cat!  Free to a good mountainhome!"
"...But the cat's dead."
"That's the best part!"
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 09:06:15 am »

Cage plus free bones, meat and leather. What's not to like? I embark on Glaciers all the time specifically so the traders can bring me dead animals.

It's like butcher's christmas; crack open the cages and see what fleshy presents lie inside!

Strant

• Bay Watcher
  • MagmaMan Carpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 09:40:05 am »

Except you have to consider that they're caravans might taper off due to low profit.  Since the animals die off they might be losing money on each caravan and decide that your fortress isn't worth it.

Of course, I don't really know if that's really how it works but it's something to look out for.
You mine sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 10:32:07 am »

They look at what they brought on the map and what they left with, so yes if all you're buying is cages they might be considering it a 'loss' and get peeved. But honestly animals are pretty cheap, 2 or 3 stonecrafts each so as long as you buy other stuff and let them leave with a significant profit margin they'll keep coming back with bigger caravans.

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 02:00:59 pm »

They look at what they brought on the map and what they left with, so yes if all you're buying is cages they might be considering it a 'loss' and get peeved. But honestly animals are pretty cheap, 2 or 3 stonecrafts each so as long as you buy other stuff and let them leave with a significant profit margin they'll keep coming back with bigger caravans.

Oh CRAP. Are you telling me I have to purchase a significant amount from the traders, or the *beepbeepbeeps* will stop showing up? Ummn... Excuse me... I have to go start doing some major industry.
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 02:51:57 pm »

They won't necessarily stop showing up, but they probably won't bother bringing 7 wagons if you only buy a tiny amount of their goods and don't bother to give them a good profit margin. If you actually steal from them, their caravan size will drop very sharply, but it probably won't stop altogether.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 03:01:01 pm »

You'd think they'd get smart and stuff a fire snake in the cages with the animals. Charge you some more for 'hazardous shipping' and leave you with an extra vermin along with your purchase. Would be cool unless they traveled through a desert or something. They'd have to figure out a way to keep the critters alive through that. Any suggestions?
Nothing important here, move along.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 03:57:48 pm »

I can just picture the merchant trying to convince the trader that the cat is in fact still alive.

"E's not dead!  E's pining for the mountainhomes!"
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

gershwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 04:57:11 pm »

Hmm, I think this happened to me today too. I didn't buy the cage, but noticed a cat corpse on the stocks screen. I assumed it was carp chum, but I am playing on a cold map (though, sadly, one that does not freeze, hence the carp.)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 09:39:55 pm »

I love that they attempted to sell you Schrodinger's cat.

You just HAD to look inside it, didn't you?

BTW, that cage should've been made of pitchblende to make it work best.

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2009, 10:02:44 pm »

Pitchblende? that bit I don't get.

Well, they didn't LABEL it properly. If it had said 'Nickle Cage of Uncertainty'-- Well, you can bet I'd not have opened it. I would've created a whole museum around it!
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2009, 10:16:31 pm »

Pitchblende? that bit I don't get.

Well, they didn't LABEL it properly. If it had said 'Nickle Cage of Uncertainty'-- Well, you can bet I'd not have opened it. I would've created a whole museum around it!
Well, you see, Schrodinger's experiment involved radioactive material. Pitchblende is radioactive.

For you see, joke = explained.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2009, 10:35:21 pm »

Then Joke != joke anymore.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 10:25:03 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2009, 11:17:26 pm »

Then Joke =/= joke anymore.

I prefer !=, personally.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 11:19:39 pm by Puzzlemaker »
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5