Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Water and magma against the edge?

<< < (2/2)

Neruz:

--- Quote from: Retro on September 03, 2009, 05:38:43 am ---"Water flows off the map but magma doesn't?" wasn't technically a question, just conversationally phrased as one. I'm not asking that. What I'm specifically wondering:

--- Quote from: Retro on September 03, 2009, 04:44:00 am ---...what the difference in code is here. Water flows off the map but magma doesn't? I mean, it's cool that magma stacks against the sides, but it'd be extremely great if anyone knew what was causing this difference and if there's any way I can change it.

--- End quote ---

(and dur, of course I could dig out an island within the map, but without the map edges it's just a big moat. That's not the point of the project.)

--- End quote ---

It's hardcoded, there's nothing you can do about it.

Just keep in mind that if water didn't flow off the map, rivers wouldn't work, and waterfalls would become lethal.

Starver:

--- Quote from: Neruz on September 03, 2009, 06:39:59 am ---Just keep in mind that if water didn't flow off the map, rivers wouldn't work, and waterfalls would become lethal.
--- End quote ---

Now, that would be a challenge.  Develop a fortress competing with a continually rising 'tide', digging in and sealing the first exploratory entryways off before water rose above them and/or could not be otherwise removed quick enough.

Bonus points for maintaining access to a Depot (e.g. a succession of platforms above the current water mark), though when boats come in I suppose you'd just build a set of 'harbours' on the side of a central chimney.

Neruz:
Having seen what happens when you get a waterfall that falls into a biome that freezes (but the waterfall itself doesn't), it wouldn't be so much of a challenge as it would be !!Fun!!.

Retro:
Kind of a shame, though that makes sense. I don't think I'll try the raised bridges on the sides (though I have been using them to hold the trade depot path open); I ended up flooding the exterior walls with magma and I'll flood the interiors with water later. Spiralwaters continues construction! Thanks all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version