Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Understanding Weapon Skills  (Read 558 times)

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
Understanding Weapon Skills
« on: September 03, 2009, 11:31:24 am »

When a weapon has [SKILL:HAMMER], a dwarf will only use this weapon if selected to use a hammer when in the military.

I've modded a lot, so I can't remember if my mining picks are default picks. But I assume they use [SKILL:MINING]. With a high mining skill, if you turn a miner into a recruit to attack the nearby kobold, they will effectively kill it, using the pick.

Does that mean that the following harpoon:

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HARPOON]
[NAME:harpoon:harpoons]
[DAMAGE:70:PIERCE]
[WEIGHT:30]
[SKILL:FISH]
[CRIT_BOOST:1]
[TWO_HANDED:5]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:4]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]

will not be USED by a fisherdwarf (not necessary to fish with) but still grabbed if available by a fisherdwarf, and then used when turned into a recruit to fight a carp?

Or will it be necessary to have to fish?

Or will nothing at all happen, and this weapon never be used?
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding Weapon Skills
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 12:07:00 pm »

The weapon may not be used since you either have to be a hunter or in the military to actually pickup equipment. But you could probably improvise something like a harpoon and get a hunter to pick it up and then disable hunting and turn on fishing and they will
probably keep it.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 12:21:58 pm »

Agreed with the above.

AFAIK, you can't force a job to use new equipment - that's hard-coded.  If you make this weapon, you could conceivably get a hunter to pick it up and then get him to fish with the harpoon in his hands.  It would be difficult, but then he would use the 'fishing' skill to kill stuff, and that's pretty sweet.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:16:12 pm »

Use the ranged weapon hack that was discovered a while back. Add the [RANGED:*weapon skill*:imaginary] tag to the fish spear, replacing the *weapon skill* with what you want it to be equipped as, in this case probably SPEAR. Then add the ammo
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_IMAGINARY]
[NAME:imaginary:imaginaries]
[CLASS:IMAGINARY]
[DAMAGE:0:PIERCE]
[STICK_CHANCE:0]
to item_ammo.txt. This will mean that they will use the weapon to fight with and their chance of hitting/damage will be based on their fishing skill, much as how picks' damage and hit chance are dependent upon the mining skill. It also means that every time the weapon hits the user will gain the 'fishing' skill, just as how swords cause the wielder to gain the swordsdwarf skill. There are some side effects, though, the first being that they will never spar with the weapon, and the second being that if you ever assign a speardwarf there is a chance that they will pick up the fishing spear. This does not mean that they will use the weapon for the task of fishing, the only exception to that rule is picks. Also, make sure not to add the new ammo to any races and use it only for the ranged weapon hack, as if you do add it and manage to find some you will be able to shoot it with your fishing spear.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 01:13:42 pm »

The phrase "shoot it with your fishing spear" were never one I expected to hear in my lifetime.
Dwarf Fortress is awesome in so so many ways  ;D

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 11:10:56 pm »

Yeah, I'm a fisherdwarf.  I shoot people with my fishing spear.  It has imaginaries for ammunition, which are kinda rare, but definitely worth it.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster