Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pumping Magma (Questions).  (Read 871 times)

AxisofLint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pumping Magma (Questions).
« on: September 03, 2009, 04:43:04 pm »

So, I'm still reasonably new at DF, and I'm scratching my head over how to deal with magma effectively. Every time I try and pump it, I end up with problems along the lines of the pumping machines getting magmarized, or rather, not the screw pumps (which I construct from magma proof materials) but the connecting rods, which I *can't* construct from magma proof materials going up flame.

Is there any fix to this? Am I missing something? Even if I try and use pits so that it doesn't flood out over the pipes, it seems to work its way there eventually.

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pumping Magma (Questions).
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 04:44:30 pm »

Could you post a picture of one of your failed pump pictures? Im have an idea of what your talking about, But i'd like to confirm it by seeing exactly what your doing.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 04:59:03 pm »

If your wooden axels are bursting into flames, you should put all the machinery you're using for magma pumps and the like a level above your magma. Connect the machinery to the pumps by constructing a gear assembly over an open space above your pumps.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

AxisofLint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 09:05:58 pm »

If your wooden axels are bursting into flames, you should put all the machinery you're using for magma pumps and the like a level above your magma. Connect the machinery to the pumps by constructing a gear assembly over an open space above your pumps.

Ah. I didn't realise you could vertically power machinery? I assumed you had to have a gear assembly next to the pump on a horizontal level.

Quote from: Jim Groovester
Could you post a picture of one of your failed pump pictures? Im have an idea of what your talking about, But i'd like to confirm it by seeing exactly what your doing.

Yay for MSPaint.

The magma to the east is (usually) at a lower level, and then the pump moves it through to the west. Occasionally, the magma to the west will be at a lower level also (depending on how I dig it out ;p). The only exposed tile, other than the pump itself, is the one containing the gear assembly, but this seems to be sufficient to occasionally allow magma to seep through.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 03:54:33 am »

By that pic, it should work fine- magma shouldn't touch the gears. Can you post a screen shot? maybe there's something else you're not seeing.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 07:53:42 am »

If your pump is located in the magma pipe's region tile (48x48 tile area on the map), it's possible that fire snakes are setting fire to the axles (though I've only ever seen reports of fire snakes burning things like barrels and bins).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 11:38:55 am »

The magma to the east is (usually) at a lower level

If the magma to the east is ever at the same level as the pump, the magma can flow either over the pump or diagonally into the area with the gear assembly and axle.  That'll burn up the axle.  Magma to the west is blocked by the pump's non-passable outflow pipe, so it's okay (if I read that diagram right).

To be safe, build a wall somewhere to the east of the pump (by your diagram) and at the same level as the pump.  If there are no other pumps to the east, the magma won't rise to the level of the pump, avoiding that problem altogether.  Even safer: following the other suggestions here.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 12:05:45 pm »

Ah. I didn't realise you could vertically power machinery? I assumed you had to have a gear assembly next to the pump on a horizontal level.

You don't even need a gear assembly - you can connect an axle directly to a screw pump and it'll work fine (provided that it's at the correct angle, of course).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

AxisofLint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 04:30:32 pm »

Thanks for all the tips guys ;)