Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Pumping Magma (Questions).

<< < (2/2)

Quietust:
If your pump is located in the magma pipe's region tile (48x48 tile area on the map), it's possible that fire snakes are setting fire to the axles (though I've only ever seen reports of fire snakes burning things like barrels and bins).

MrFake:

--- Quote from: AxisofLint on September 03, 2009, 09:05:58 pm ---The magma to the east is (usually) at a lower level
--- End quote ---

If the magma to the east is ever at the same level as the pump, the magma can flow either over the pump or diagonally into the area with the gear assembly and axle.  That'll burn up the axle.  Magma to the west is blocked by the pump's non-passable outflow pipe, so it's okay (if I read that diagram right).

To be safe, build a wall somewhere to the east of the pump (by your diagram) and at the same level as the pump.  If there are no other pumps to the east, the magma won't rise to the level of the pump, avoiding that problem altogether.  Even safer: following the other suggestions here.

Quietust:

--- Quote from: AxisofLint on September 03, 2009, 09:05:58 pm ---Ah. I didn't realise you could vertically power machinery? I assumed you had to have a gear assembly next to the pump on a horizontal level.

--- End quote ---

You don't even need a gear assembly - you can connect an axle directly to a screw pump and it'll work fine (provided that it's at the correct angle, of course).

AxisofLint:
Thanks for all the tips guys ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version