Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: questions  (Read 1354 times)

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
questions
« on: September 04, 2009, 02:11:05 am »

The liason from my civilization seems to have been killed during world-gen
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

my first question is, will the liason get replaced because i allready got dwarfs coming to trade with me 4x and the liason hasn't shown up once.

my second question is, will other dwarfen civilizations come to trade with me if they are close enough and will my civ grow (i mean the one where the queen is at the moment)

my third question is, what happens normaly to my fortress if i abandon it? will the computer take it over and it will act just like any other non-player fortress?

Thanks in advance  ;D

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: questions
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 07:47:00 am »

1. No - once the liaison is dead, he/she will never be replaced.

3. When you abandon your fortress, your dwarves abandon it and migrate to some other region. Some may instead choose to go insane and remain in your fortress's hallways.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 09:43:42 am »

2) Yes, other dwarven civilizations can come to trade, as well as multiple humans and elves, and maybe even goblins and kobolds (obviously, those two won't come to trade).  Any civ on the 'c'ivs list should be able to visit your fort (though they may not for whatever reason).  I don't know how you'd check which ones can come, though, until they actually begin populating your 'c'ivs list.  Doesn't the embark screen only show which races can reach your fort?

As for civ growth, I don't really understand.  Your fortress can grow in many ways, and eventually become the Mountainhome.  The other civs, as per my understanding, are in stasis so long as you are playing, bar a few exceptions like named dwarfs that migrate to your fortress (King or Queen, etc).  Is that wrong?

3) Quietust: Do dwarfs go insane between abandon and reclaim?  I thought all creatures show up on reclaim exactly as they were on abandon, except with new equipment (or is that only for adventure mode?): melancholy -> melancholy; berserk -> berserk; normal -> wandering around the same few tiles until death, doing little more than nothing, not even dying of thirst. "All creatures" being only those that choose to stick around. 
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 09:55:37 am »

Once, as a test, I abandoned my old fortress (after stripping my soldiers of their masterwork steel armor and Adamantine war hammers) and visited it in Adventure mode, and while wandering through the mining tunnels, I ran across at least one insane peasant, though it's certainly possible that some other insane peasant had decided to migrate into my fortress ruins.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Plazek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 05:30:35 pm »

Once I went straight to my fort after abandon in adventure mode.

I actually started on the same area as my old fort and the majority of people were there as normal. Was a long time ago though.