Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: making immigrants useful  (Read 956 times)

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
making immigrants useful
« on: September 04, 2009, 11:11:58 am »

in entity default there is a list of allowed professions, if I remove [PERMITTED_JOB:SOAP_MAKER], will no more soap makers show up?

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: making immigrants useful
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 11:35:32 am »

Yes, no more soap makers should show up,  but you would have to regen.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 12:19:21 pm »

:D YAY

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 02:13:35 pm »

Sir, you have single-handedly eradicated the most useless people in the DF world. I salute you. I'll be implementing this ASAP, and I might get rid of a few of the other crappy people.

No more fish dissectors, milkers, cheesemakers, animal dissectors or lye makers!

If you turned off, say, woodcrafting, would you be forever safe from people going fey and becoming woodcrafters, and if, by extension, you eliminated all the crafting jobs would you only get dwarves going fey with useful skills?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 02:26:52 pm »

Potentially, but then what will you trade with?

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 02:33:45 pm »

If you turned off, say, woodcrafting, would you be forever safe from people going fey and becoming woodcrafters, and if, by extension, you eliminated all the crafting jobs would you only get dwarves going fey with useful skills?

So, lets say you run out of arrows and bones...

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 02:37:44 pm »

Kashykk, I would trade with the infinitely more valuable gems.

Vieto, I would use copper for bolts in my magma forge and the bones would be... um... I'll create a smelter reaction requiring piles of bones for something. Problem solved.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 03:07:35 pm »

The way to make immigrants useful is to train them.  I love dwarves with soapmaking (or many other "useless" skills) because:
1) After I stick them in the barracks for a while to wrestle and then return them to civilian life, they don't get a second unhappy mood due to being relieved of duty to be a peasant.  Makes 'em great for militia.
2) I can pick any strange mood-capable skill, have them do just one job in it, and viola!  If that dwarf ever gets a strange mood, they'll go with that skill (as long as I'm careful not to later have them do work in a different strange mode-capable skill).  Instant Legendary Armorsmith!
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 03:08:22 pm »

I'm not sure the stated solution is true at all.

I've talked to people who have played as elves, kobolds, etc., who talk about nonpermitted job migrants STILL showing up.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 03:38:03 pm »

The first thing that came to mind when I read 'making immigrants useful' was some sort of modded smelter reaction that uses dwarf bones to make adamantine.

Does that make me a bad person?
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 04:27:07 pm »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they'll still show up. The only difference is you won't be able to turn that job on/off.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 05:46:52 pm »

Are you sure they regenned? I think this matter requires some experimentation, is anyone willing to gen up a fresh vanilla DF with only a few starting jobs allowed and wait it out until the first migrants show up?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 09:16:46 pm »

The way to make immigrants useful is to train them.  I love dwarves with soapmaking (or many other "useless" skills) because:
1) After I stick them in the barracks for a while to wrestle and then return them to civilian life, they don't get a second unhappy mood due to being relieved of duty to be a peasant.  Makes 'em great for militia.
2) I can pick any strange mood-capable skill, have them do just one job in it, and viola!  If that dwarf ever gets a strange mood, they'll go with that skill (as long as I'm careful not to later have them do work in a different strange mode-capable skill).  Instant Legendary Armorsmith!

This is my solution.

Also, one thing I do is I sort my jobs with the Military screen in a hierarchy, and co-opt new immigrants as sidekicks for existing skilled dwarves. E.G. a team of furnace operaters/wood burners to assist my weaponsmith.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 10:42:45 pm »

Assign them a useful Labour, turn every other labour off, cha-ching.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 11:41:36 pm »

I tend to stick all my useless immigrants to masonry and carpentry, and then turn workshops to only accept novice and above. Building constructions doesn't seem to give any skill, or vary in time based on skill, so I use the swarm of uselessness to build large constructions quickly, and it doesn't interfere with me getting them all to slight skill in weaponsmithing/armorsmithing/blacksmithing for moods.
Pages: [1] 2