Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best way to combat mass SoF?  (Read 4133 times)

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best way to combat mass SoF?
« on: September 04, 2009, 04:32:14 pm »

So... I find a funhouse full of happy clowns and think oh awesome, if its tentacle clowns or frog clowns i can handle it np, I have a military of a dozen champions and a half dozen marksdwarves plus a few swordmasters. I cleared out an underground river and a magma pipe, as well as warding off a legendary tailless dragon, a flock of giant eagles, and of course the run of the mill goblin sieges, the works, so I figured this would be no problem.

Oh, then all of the charcoal in the funhouse starts bursting into flame. I'm assuming this is a fire clown infestation because frog and tentacle clowns don't start fires from what I've seen, and normal clowns only do so after revealed. I've never really had to deal with them, and from what I hear just getting near them will melt even steel armor, which is bad news because I only have copper and leather! I didn't hit the house directly, I nicked an edge of the highest level of it in a way that the demons are still isolated from the rest of the fort. Is there a practical way of killing them or should I just keep them walled off and let them chill in there?

I know that seems like the logical thing to do but it's so undwarfy to know there be fiends in that thar bottomless pit and not do anything about it.

Oh whoops, I forgot they can fly and apparently I broke the roof of the second level, I'll tell you all how the horrific massacre goes, I promise!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 04:35:52 pm by Kietharr »

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to combat mass SoF?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 04:37:22 pm »

Collapse the roof on them. They'll be crushed.

Station some marksdwarves (preferably a lot of them) nearby, because sometimes you don't hit them all (when I struck SoF, there were 30 and I missed half of them with the falling ceiling). Alternately, simply using marksdwarves is a good way to combat them as well, as long as you have the SoF come out from a narrow tunnel or something.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 04:49:17 pm »

Collapsing the roof is the best way to fight clowns.  Marksdwarves work as well.  Apparently a row of upright spikes (made of steel, I presume) hooked up to a lever on repeat will work as well.

If you need to engage the fire clowns in melee combat, douse your dwarves in water first.

I prefer this method of hiding spoilers ;)

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 05:15:16 pm »

I wish I had time to collapse stuff on them but no such luxury was afforded me. I had to send my dwarves in to fight man to clown. The infestation spread rapidly through the lower tunnels, the fighting was brutal and casualties among the militia and wardog squads were high, but eventually they were pushed back to the vile funhouse itself. My champion squad also lost about seven good dwarves out of the original twelve, but my marksdwarves were mostly unharmed. Currently I'm maintaining the position outside the funhouse for the final storm. I will not let this threat to my dwarves linger unchecked, plus there are a lot of evil elves down there that need killing. I plan to make that room into the dining hall for my high class apartment complex.

Fairly sure all of the clowns are dead though, otherwise the fiends would have flown up to face my beleaguered army by now. One or two possibly still haunt the tunnels, I'll need to sweep them with the remainder of my peon and wardog militia squads. Fortunately some migrants came shortly before the onslaught. Out of my civilian nonmigrants only two miners a mechanic and a bonecarver were killed, more than half of my professional military and that entire migrant wave that I used as fodder.

On the bright side, even though I've run out of coffins now since they were all killed by immolation there's no bad thought for seeing friends decay!

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 06:07:45 pm »

Ok, funhouse subdued. Cost me the most of my military and all of my fodder though when a few more fire clowns decided to have some more fun. They all had giant killlists in legends and such so they took three to four dwarves each. I find wardogs and fodder to be essential in fighting clowns, as they absorb the fireballs so your hard hitting dwarves can charge and take minimal casualties. I have one champion, 4 marksdwarves and a greviously wounded swordmaster left. I'm recruiting peons as a next generation of champion, and they'll be in full masterwork funtine armor. The only real threats left to me are goblins so I think I'll survive this. No indications of a tantrum spiral in the works either.

Evil elves were primarily melancholy. Cage traps were placed and spikes were utilized, did damage with the spikes and they passed out on cage traps. Cages were pitted from 3 Z levels into the magma pipe as sacrifices to Armok for such a heroic victory. Also sacrificed some wounded fodder I didn't feel like feeding, they had no friends anyways and they helped cure the indigestion Armok got from that puny elf blood.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 07:05:34 pm »

Spoilers suck. You sir, have invented a much more awesome way of referring to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 09:07:59 pm »

Best way to take out the firey clowns is massed Marksdwarves. I often waste a couple of Wafers making some Adamantine Bolts if i suspect i'll be seeing firey clowns.

DonerKebab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 09:10:20 pm »

How do you get adamantium and clowns?

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 09:20:27 pm »

It's called adamantine and shall be called "funtime metal" from now on. Kietharr also made a small "mistake" in the first post of this thread, telling you what the clowns really are called. Search the wiki and knowledge shall be yours!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 09:23:47 pm »

I'm waiting for clown-themed fan art.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 09:30:51 pm »

I'm waiting for clown-themed fan art.
Like a !!clown!! throwing !!pies!! at a dwarf? Or a clown with diving equipment and large hands? Or a clown with a funny hat with six rubber arms attached to the hat?

It's a shame I can't draw...

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 10:06:41 pm »

It's called adamantine and shall be called "funtime metal" from now on. Kietharr also made a small "mistake" in the first post of this thread, telling you what the clowns really are called. Search the wiki and knowledge shall be yours!

SoF stands for silly obnoxious folk obviously, which makes sense because fire clowns are especially obnoxious.

But yeah, every mountain 'square' on the map has one funhouse so you have a pretty good chance of finding one if you start near a mountain. If you want to be sure you can go in the .ini file and enable viewing everything on the embark map.

Be warned though, opening a funhouse before you have a solid fort with a good military ready can result in too much fun all at once, especially if you get fire clowns. The other clown types really aren't that big of a deal, only thing is they're all trap immune so you have to use more creative methods of dealing with them, if you get an accidental breach like I did you need to scramble your military, but if you locate it by tracing the veins of pure concentrated fun you can plan a breach party with upright spikes and pressure plate and support collapsing roof traps. Or you can just channel out every tile surrounding it and mine out every tile below it so it collapses.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 10:11:10 pm »

The "mistake" I was talking about is this one:
I didn't hit the house directly, I nicked an edge of the highest level of it in a way that the demons are still isolated from the rest of the fort.
in a way that the demons are still isolated
demons

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 10:34:01 pm »

*hiss*

Spoiler the non-clown-ness

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 10:41:58 pm »

the best way to combat spirits of fun are to build a gigantic wooden bunny rabbit, If that doesn't work, RUN AWAY!!!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: [1] 2