Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31

Author Topic: LCS 4.00.5a Download - Now With 100% More Classic Mode  (Read 73028 times)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: LCS 4.00.5a Download - Now With 100% More Classic Mode
« Reply #225 on: September 12, 2009, 12:52:09 am »

I got that too, there seems to be a way(or bug) to cause the game to instantly green death penaltys. But I havent identified it myself.

(and by that I mean I get it regularly)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 12:53:52 am by cowofdoom78963 »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #226 on: September 12, 2009, 12:58:30 am »

It's probably a coding error where I used a single = instead of a double == when checking if the death penalty was Elite Liberal somewhere. I should be able to track it down with an automated search of the code.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 12, 2009, 06:50:21 am »

I'm playing in nightmare mode, and Death Penalty seems to have jumped to L+.  I'm not sure how this can be, since I've been active for only about 3 months and no liberal laws have passed.

I had something equally suspicious happen with Animal Rights in nightmare mode. We were floundering along with no law ever getting past momentary flashes of M (and most firmly entrenched at C+), when AR suddenly was L+...

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 12, 2009, 07:07:19 am »

Just asking because you've been putting out new versions VERY quickly in the last few days: Can we expect a new release anytime soon or would this be a good time to start a new game?

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 12, 2009, 11:39:51 am »

Yeah, I had the same thing, it was awesome, because otherwise my liberals would have gotten death for loitering.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 12, 2009, 12:13:18 pm »

It's probably a coding error where I used a single = instead of a double == when checking if the death penalty was Elite Liberal somewhere. I should be able to track it down with an automated search of the code.

Pushing the Button is currently setting Nuclear to L+.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #231 on: September 12, 2009, 12:13:34 pm »

He!  Been there, done that...  ;D  (Assigning instead of comparing)
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 12, 2009, 12:14:09 pm »

That is supposed to happen however.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 12, 2009, 12:20:18 pm »

That is supposed to happen however.

I suspect not. I went in with Nuclear either C or C+ (I think the latter), pressed the button, got the "dump waste" dialogue instead of "kill power", and Nuclear was immediately L+. Is that actually working as intended? I was under the impression that "dump waste" was only supposed to be an option if Nuclear was already L+... or am I conflating discussion of potential changes with current code?

Is killing the power for the state no longer possible under any level of nuclear? If not, why is the Button labeled "POWER" on the map?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 12, 2009, 12:23:53 pm »

No, E. Albright is right. What pressing the button supposed to do is boost support for L+ Nuclear Power law by around 75%. It does NOT instantly translate to L+ Nuclear Power (you have to have the law be changed normally, either by Congress or proposition).

You're supposed to get that "dump waste" dialogue when Nuclear Power is already L+. There must be some bug in the code.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 12, 2009, 12:47:01 pm »

On the small error front, I believe I saw a mural denouncing the CCS criminals in Classic mode...

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 12, 2009, 01:01:48 pm »

Fixed six different incidences where different laws, including nuclear power and animal research, would be set to L+ instead of checking if they were L+.

The thing to understand here is that the equals symbol in C++ does not mean what it means in math. The equals symbol means "Take what's on the right and assign its value to the stuff on the left." It is called the assignment operator. The statement "one = two" will force the variable named "one" to be equal to the variable named "two". If you write "if(1=2)" the compiler will choke, because it can't change a constant value (the number 1), and you've just ordered the code to set 1 to be equal to 2 every time this statement is evaluated.

For an LCS example:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This code will force nuclear power to always be L+ whenever this code block is hit, and it will always, always print the text "nuclear power is illegal" to the screen.

To check if two values are equal to one another, you can't ever use a single equals sign. That's the assignment operator. You need to stack two equals signs together to create a new symbol, the equality operator. The code "if(1==2)" won't cause the compiler to choke -- it'll just always evaluate to false, because 1 isn't equal to 2.

For the LCS example:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This no longer forces nuclear power to be L+ every time the if statement is encountered. It also no longer always dumps the text nuclear power is illegal to the screen -- now it only happens if nuclear power is already at L+.

In math, we're used to = meaning that the two sides are equal. But C++ is its own language, and in C++, that's not what it means. When coding, you have to be very careful of this.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 12, 2009, 01:10:45 pm »

Huh.  I've never had a problem with that myself, because I first learned how to code in JAVA, and JAVA just won't let you use anything except checking operators in an IF statement.  If your put "if(1=2)" or "if(var1=var2)" it won't even try to compile and will force you to change it.  Interesting.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 12, 2009, 01:16:39 pm »

C++ is lenient to a fault; it assumes its programmer is a pro who knows exactly what he or she is doing, and permits odd behavior accordingly. It's usually a warning when you do that, but LCS has always had so many warnings that it would take days just to fix them all, and it slows down compilation just to print them all, so I have the warning tolerance turned up very high on the VC++ workspace I use. Anyone else who uses that will get no indication of a problem with assigning in an if statement.

Really, I should have the warning tolerance very low and then just exclude specific warnings using the command line options, but that's way too much work for a lazy person like myself.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 12, 2009, 01:29:30 pm »

C++ is lenient to a fault

Stroustrup's classic formulation: "C makes it easy for you to shoot yourself in the foot.  C++ makes that harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg."
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31