Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 1254 times)

False Keraptis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Religion
« on: June 02, 2007, 06:37:00 pm »

Maybe I've played too much D&D, but nothing says "dwarf" like a plate-armored warhammer-wielding cleric, and we all know altars have a long and illustrious history in roguelikes.  Also, wouldn't it be cool to build  grand temples to the earth-gods?  So has anyone had any ideas about how religion might look in the fortress?

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Religion
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 07:11:00 pm »

Alcohol = Religion in DF  :D

All there is to say on that one really.

Retro

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 08:08:00 pm »

Garbaflarb Cancels Sleep: Praying to Allah

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 10:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Heliopios:
<STRONG>Garbaflarb Cancels Sleep: Praying to Allah</STRONG>

Don't you mean "Praying to Armok"?

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 10:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zereth:
<STRONG>
Don't you mean "Praying to Armok"?</STRONG>

ALLAH.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 11:12:00 pm »

Yep, British bastardization of the Yddish pronunciation of the Jewish word challah.  Meaning, "bread".

Personally I don't want religion to ever appear in my dwarves.  There are just too many arguements to be had about it.  I mean just look at the religion L. Ron Hubbard created on a dare.  Sure it isn't to the point that idiots fight wars over it yet, but pretty damn close.

Please just keep your religion to yourself.  Also please understand that the first paragraph of this post was a very silly joke.  I could do something similar for just about any word or name in any language.  I try very hard not to take myself too seriously, and suggest that it is healthy for everyone to do the same.

"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 12:25:00 am »

Veroule, you do realize that adding religion is in the dev plans, right?
quote:
# DEITY: Have religions in the game correspond to forces or deities and let you play one and do whatever you like, possibly restricted by your defining characteristics and geography.

quote:
CIVILIZATIONS
# state religions and the head of state being the religious leader without necessarily having a full theocracy

quote:
Religions:  These can be a powerful force. Temples, priests, pilgrims, orders, monks, vows, tithes, rituals, holy scripts, holidays, excommunication, persecution, burnings, sacrifices... Religious groups can have "rules" (such as the Rule of St. Benedict), and a particularly powerful player could introduce a new rule (the Rule of St. [player name]). Breaking vows might lead to the cursing of the offending creature. Religions that are appealing or that proselytize aggressively can spread over wide areas (being right and being able to demonstrate it doesn't hurt either). Preachers can have fun speaking to others, and the Day of Purification they keep talking about might be real. Religious insurrections and schisms will occur.

quote:
Various enmities:  Races, cultures, religions, philosophies, etc. sometimes have deep hatreds for each other, sometimes to the point that one group will de'human'ize another.

quote:
The Future: The Supernatural

Deities, Powerful Allies and Patrons:  How do you meet/find/experience/whatever them? What do they demand in return for power? What powers do they grant? How do they grant them? Many of these questions can be answered by the ideals that a deity aligns itself with. Deities can be set in opposition (Truth/Lies, Nature/Undeath, Honor/Tyranny, Life/Disease, etc.). Deities often have many names in different civilizations. Cults and religions can grow up around powerful beings. Some of these beings might demand sacrifices (as a matter of course, for perceived infractions, etc.). Sacrifices may or may not actually maintain or increase the power of the being. Prayers of mundane followers might actually be answered in certain cases. It might be appropriate for a creature to give thanks to its deity at certain times.

Forces:  These are things like "the elements", the spirit of a forest, or the psychic remnants of a lost civilization. They act like deities basically, but may not be sentient. Towns might have local spirits that can exact retribution for violent acts, etc. Note that any elemental planes could just consist of one driving force, or they might be as complicated as the normal world with inhabitants, items, entities, and everything else (perhaps even many magic types within the standard elemental art). Regional forces might be able to compel the natives of their region to act in certain ways. Forces may also be able manifest in different ways (as a single powerful being, a mist, a multitude of fairies, etc.).

So, there's going to be religion.  There's going to be religious wars.  There's going to be religion mucking about with politics.  There's going to be religious prejudice and bigotry.  There's going to be ceremonies, sacrifices, rituals, and all sorts of things.

I -highly- doubt there will be real world religions included, but I highly suspect that every aspect of the religions will be in the RAWs, and thus moddable.

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 12:29:00 am »

Well......my dwarves will still worship the booze :P

J/K,  I've seen that in the dev plans.  Things are going to get VERY interesting when magic and religion make it in.

Retro

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 01:39:00 am »

The greeks had whatzis-face.  Bacchus.  Dionysus.

wikipedia sayz: Dionysus, the Thracian god of wine, represents not only the intoxicating power of wine, but also its social and beneficial influences. He is viewed as the promoter of civilization, a lawgiver, and lover of peace — as well as the patron deity of agriculture and the theatre.

Gods wouldn't have to be all bigotry and smiting and frequent, timely sacrificing ... Well, you know, not all of them.  Building a sweet temple room would be cool, altars and statues and engravings and stained glass and tapestries and on and on.

Hey, I'd love to be able to build a giant pipe organ in DF.  We've got the brass, we've got the Elephants.  Just need the ivory.  And some pig tail bellows.

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 03:32:00 am »

oh those greeks, they make the silliest, yet most worshippable gods.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 04:04:00 am »

"excommunication, persecution, burnings, sacrifices"

So now we not only have captain and the hammerer kiling/disabling random legendaries but also the inquisitors and the priests?

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 04:20:00 am »

Likud Grindgears cancels worship: Burned at the stake.

:(

I think religion, if properly done will add a fascinating level of depth to the game (as if there wasn't enough already!). Since the game is called Slaves to Armok: God of Blood, it seems silly to dismiss religion out of hand.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 08:52:00 am »

What happens if a hauler hauling an item gets burned? more specificaly buckets of nitroglycerine or a keg of blackpowder?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 10:42:00 am »

I'm just worried about it generating random names for the Gods and Goddesses. I don't want my dwarves sacrificing virgins to Askinblah Mucklikur "Twisted Paints the Pregnant-Sweets of Corn."

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 02:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaulgath:
<STRONG>I'm just worried about it generating random names for the Gods and Goddesses. I don't want my dwarves sacrificing virgins to Askinblah Mucklikur "Twisted Paints the Pregnant-Sweets of Corn."</STRONG>

Blaspheme!

Pages: [1] 2