Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question on marriage  (Read 861 times)

meowmix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
question on marriage
« on: September 05, 2009, 01:12:37 pm »

i read somewhere that dwarves only tend to marry if they come from the same immigration wave. is this an absolute fact or will they still marry if they were from different waves.

what about the children dwarves when they grow up? will they marry or no. and if dwarf children do marry when they grow up would they only marry a dwarf that is not a sibling or would they marry within the family as well.

atm i only seem to have 2 married dwarves in my fortress and since i havnt had any immigration for like 10 years now even though im not a the population cap i just wanted to know if my dwarves wont eventually just die out..

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: question on marriage
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 01:43:42 pm »

I'm not completely sure, but I think they do marry even when not in the same migration wave, to me it just seems like coming in the same wave just has a lot larger chance of them getting married because they will be close together a lot when sparring as the meatshields.

I like married dwarves, they only need 1 room for 2 dwarves, instead of 2 rooms for 2 like the regular dwarves.

No idea on the children, those take way too long to grow up for most people, and because of that I doubt there's reliable information on them for long-term things.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 01:45:07 pm »

I don't know if it's more likely, but I definitely have dwarves who are in relationships who did not show up in the same immigration wave. They are listed as Lovers, not Married, but the effects are basically identical. Children can also form Lover/Married relationships, but I don't know if they do it with siblings or not. I would assume not. I've never seen siblings pair up. But I can't be 100% certain of that, since I generally don't go that deep into a fortress where the kids are growing up.

meowmix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 01:49:07 pm »

well i was planning to edit the dwarves raw file to make children grow up faster. i mean since ive stopped getting immigrants for some reason children are the only way for me to fill up my work force.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 01:57:39 pm »

Baby cap is in init.txt, along w/ pop cap.  See wiki on "init"