Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does the pathing/shooting bug work?  (Read 1552 times)

Free Beer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How does the pathing/shooting bug work?
« on: September 05, 2009, 09:46:16 am »

I seem to recall that critters do not activate ranged powers if they cannot path to the thing they want to shoot. Does this reasoning work for things with bows and crossbows as well? How about Dwarves with crossbows?

Furthermore, wouldn't it be kind of easy to fix? I'm assuming that they already also perform LOS checks, so it would simply be a matter of removing the path check from the AI.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: How does the pathing/shooting bug work?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 10:15:47 am »

Yes, it applies to dwarves.  Sometimes they just freeze up and refuse to go on until you fiddle with their settings.

And while it might seem like a simple fix, it probably isn't.  I'm not sure we quite understand all of the reasons that the dwarves freeze up when trying to fire.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Free Beer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 10:48:06 am »

Unfortunate.

Does water, magma, and/or multiple Z levels affect pathing for purposes of determining whether they can shoot?

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 12:25:37 pm »

I * think* it's something to do with that. when they run out of ammunition, they try to use their crossbow as a hammer to clobber the offending party with. If thye canot path to the enemy, they're stuck in a pathfinding lop until either they're told to stay near their station or the enemies move off the map ( or until they died from starvation/thirst)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 12:50:20 pm »

For marksdwarves, it seems to be most prevalent when you set them to "chase opponents" - if you tell them to stay by their posts, they won't try to chase the enemies, but will simply revert to standard "idle on-duty" behavior and reload, then come back and shoot some more.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 01:56:10 pm »

A marksdwarf who is sealed up behind fortifications will still fire at an enemy.  No path between them, just line of sight.