Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are armor types for animals possible?  (Read 910 times)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
Are armor types for animals possible?
« on: September 05, 2009, 09:59:44 am »

http://www.pitbullarmory.com/dog-armor.html
I would love to boost my war dogs a bit - is it possible?

EDIT: there is also a squirrel armor on that site
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 10:01:22 am by DennyTom »
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Are armor types for animals possible?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 10:07:09 am »

Try giving your war dogs the [EQUIPS] tag, just to see what happens, though it probably won't work. You may have to

I can't think of any other steps you might have to take though. Also if their mouths have [GRASP], they would probably pick swords up with their mouths and stab things. Which would be awesome.

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_PLATEMAIL]
[NAME:plate mail:plate mail]
[PREPLURAL:suits of]
[WEIGHT:150]
[VALUE:100]
[ARMORLEVEL:3]
[MAINBLOCK:70]
[SECONDBLOCK:50]
[UBSTEP:1]
[LBSTEP:1]
[SHAPED]
[LAYER:ARMOR]
[COVERAGE:100]
[LAYER_SIZE:20]
[LAYER_PERMIT:50]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:9]
[HARD]
[METAL]

That's the basic platemail armor raw. It says nothing about body type, so I imagine that if you give wardogs [EQUIPS] the only problem would be the size of the armor (I think they're smaller than dwarves).
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 02:01:52 pm »

I have some experience with this.

No, getting animals to equip armor is not possible without a LOT of weird fiddling around.

The first issue is that you have no way to assign them armor, so they'll never go and pick it up. Even if you had a way to assign them armor, they still wouldn't go pick it up. Only the same creatures as are in your civ in the Entity file will pick up weapons and armor.

There's a way around both those issues, slightly. If you use Dwarf Companion, you can temporarily change the dogs into dwarves, assign them weapons and armor, and they'll go pick them up.

HOWEVER - and this is a big however - creatures are locked at their size upon spawning. So your dog-turned-dwarf is still size 5 and not stout. Thus all the armor you have made is too big for them. And even if you had armor for size 5, non-stout creatures (say you modded in a race that wore such armor and sieged, thus dropping it when you killed them), the weredwarfs wouldn't pick it up, because the game only looks for size 6 stout armor for dwarves to pick up.

There are two ways around this.

The first is a bit ridiculous, and that's making your dogs size 6 and stout. They will then go pick up the armor and wear it, then you can turn them back into dogs. Or you can make dwarves size 5 and remove their stout tag. Neither of those options is particularly good, I think.

The second way also has some consequences, but is a bit more workable. Shields do not have a size, thus the game doesn't worry about checking when you assign something to pick it up. So you can create a shield named "Dog Barding" or something similar, turn your dog into a dwarf, assign it a shield, and it would go grab the dog barding. When you turn it back into a dog, it should still carry it, because once an item is being carried, the game doesn't particularly care that the creature carrying it doesn't have any [GRASP] parts (if you don't believe me, go quickly mod out the hands of your dwarves and restart the game. Your soldiers will now be holding weapons with their lower arms).

However - and again, this is a big one - shields obviously work differently than standard armor. Your dogs do not have [CAN_LEARN], so they would never become more skilled at using shields (though they probably wouldn't get much from regular combat anyway). Because of this, they aren't going to get that much protection out of the shield. Also, your Dwarves will go pick up the "Dog Barding" and use it as a standard shield, and merchant guards will similarly show up carrying them.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 04:44:29 pm »

When you give the dog [CAN_LEARN] (well, any creature at all), how does the tag function? It's based purely on what they do, right?

Would the dog also pick up Wrestling when fighting enemies?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Mogul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 04:49:58 pm »

When you give the dog [CAN_LEARN] (well, any creature at all), how does the tag function? It's based purely on what they do, right?

They'll quickly train social skills and get a bunch of stat boosts from it, despite not having [CAN_SPEAK]
I haven't tested wrestling, but it should work as you would expect.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 07:34:45 am »

Holy Mittens: Thank you very much for complex answer. However it shattered my dreams.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 07:42:56 am »

They'll do what my War Troglodytes did; they'll very rapidly train social skills (due to spending all their time in a big dog ball in the meeting area) and become Superdogly Tough, Ultra Mighty and Perfectly Agile in less than a year, as well as becoming ledgendary socialites.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 07:53:30 am »

They'll do what my War Troglodytes did; they'll very rapidly train social skills (due to spending all their time in a big dog ball in the meeting area) and become Superdogly Tough, Ultra Mighty and Perfectly Agile in less than a year, as well as becoming ledgendary socialites.
This might actually make animals usefull. even without the whole armor thing.

Armor is cool for Elephants, not dogs

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 07:55:32 am »

A superdogly strong wardog would probably rip goblins apart in one-on-one.

Yikes.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 08:25:05 am »

actually going to test it out... Have increased petvalue from 30 to 100 to make it a "little" bit more balanced.  ;D

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 08:47:30 am »

Armor is cool for Elephants, not dogs

I disagree - imagine a big metal river moving towards to you. You can not recognize single dogs, only huge mass of anger. Where do you shoot your arrow? There are weak uncovered spots but how do you recognise them?

My army usually consist of huge number of war dogs and few recruits just to control the dog squads. I create bottlenecks with curves so invaders must go one by one (or almost) and can not shoot for long distances. Dogs increase their numbers quickly, I can buy new ones and it is fun to watch.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 07:02:23 pm »

Well, we do know camels will wear masks...  ;D