Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten Beast, you are my nemesis  (Read 3434 times)

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beast, you are my nemesis
« on: May 17, 2010, 02:37:33 pm »

The first few were not so bad, but then the one made of moonstone, then variscite, then ash... this takes a lot out of a dwarf.  Mandibles cut off, wings shredded, no feet left, these beasts still push on and on!

I take it in situations like this, it's an end task sort of scenario?

Normally what has happened is that the frame rate drops from 50 to 15 as all the dwarfs mob it, and then the game crashes after 10 minutes of combat...

It's also hard to apply the magma solution in a few cases, as they involve a winged beast flying up a stairwell.    I have also had beasts appear between trees and a wall, and thus have a number of them on my map that I have no intention of digging out...
igless

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beast, you are my nemesis
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 02:41:09 pm »

You could dig out the level above the beasts and drop a cave in through the floor on them.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 02:50:59 pm »

You could dig out the level above the beasts and drop a cave in through the floor on them.
No.

Drop the entire fortress on them, you know you want to.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 02:53:54 pm »

Screw that. Just drop the noble housing area on them. That way you don't lose anything if you miss.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 03:12:16 pm »

magma is your ally and your friend... apply liberally and wait to see if the situation changes. If not, apply more until it does.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 03:14:15 pm »

And if magma doesn't work, just add water.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 03:15:45 pm »

ahh I have no nobles left.  A series of unfortunate events.  My mayor is a legendary shield user, in the army, who refuses to pick up a weapon no matter what I assign.

I have a few dwarfs like that.  They go out into battle, boldly wielding a bronze shield, just to bash critters with the shields.  Even directly assigning a specific weapon, they just won't pick it up.  I've verified the weapon is available (either in a stockpile, laying around, and unforbidden) and it just isn't happening.  The arsenal dwarf is doing his job; I can see that dwarfs are automatically getting assigned higher quality weapons/armor as they become available, for the most part.

Anyway, sadly, the game crashed.  Too many dwarfs in a single tile wide passage; maybe it had to do with constant battle reports.  The fps went down to about 12 and then the elven caravan arrived and this I think proved to be too much.

So I reloaded, got another forgotten beast almost immediately, and it was one-shotted through the skull with a simple iron spear.  I am working on getting the quality of weapons up, but it seems that I have a few problems:

If I set the proficiency level of *any* shop to above dabbling, no one will go to it.  At the beginning, I had a clothier make an artifact and go legendary, and her shop is the only one that seems to honor the skill settings.
With the ability to learn skills from other dwarfs, I have very many dwarfs with dabbling armor smith/weapon smith etc skills.
I have to constantly monitor shop use and disable skills of dwarfs that I do not want to use the shop.  I am considering going through all 100 dwarfs or so and find who has what and disable as appropriate.
None of my dwarfs are any higher than talented, and usually only in one smithing area, so the solution may be to make multiple shops and assign shops specifically for one dwarf.

igless

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 03:17:33 pm »

Dwarf Therapist. Go forth and manage.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 03:17:40 pm »

And if magma doesn't work, just add water.

Water?! what are you a Human? Or even worse a tree hugging elf!

As to the workshop problems, I haven't seen a similar problem. May be worth looking through the bug section to see if there is a workaround.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 03:21:03 pm »

Magma + water = instadeath.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 05:08:13 pm »

better yet, a hatch opening to the magma sea, and another one linking an aquifer to the MS.