Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Digging in the dirt (next version)

(1/3) > >>

slMagnvox:
If I dug a hole down into the hillside -and I've been under the impression I'll be able to in upcoming versions- through some kinda non-rock soil type of dirt, should the dirt-cave collapse if it got any bigger than say, 3x3?Added to the list of ways to conveniently dispose of dwarves?  Flood room, drawbridge, digging their own grave.

hactar1:
I don't think the cave-in mechanics have been decided at this point.  With the Z-axis, things become more difficult, because even a 2x2 chunk should fall if you dig out everything above and around it.  Maybe dirt will be given a weaker stability rating; I don't know.Extrapolating from the glacier screenshot on the dev_next page, if you dig down a couple levels in the dirt, you'll hit bedrock and be able to start a regular stone fortress.

slMagnvox:
A little after I posted this I read a thread in the General Discussion forum that said collapses were out temporarily.  I haven't really tried that hard to keep up with the FotF thread.  I missed hearing any talk about new collapse behavior, which has at least been talked about before, just not sure where.

Toady One:
I haven't planned it out completely, though I have some somewhat vague notions.  I didn't really want to get into until I got there, but rock hovering in midair should definitely fall down, and this might also apply to any "sand tiles" (sand is not yet a custom fluid) or other loose soil tiles.

Zereth:
quote:Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>I haven't planned it out completely, though I have some somewhat vague notions.  I didn't really want to get into until I got there, but rock hovering in midair should definitely fall down, and this might also apply to any "sand tiles" (sand is not yet a custom fluid) or other loose soil tiles.</STRONG>
Although dwarves should be able to build retaining walls to keep sand or dirt tiles from collapsing into neighboring tiles, which would require less material and work than a floodgate. (although "less material" only matters once we're keeping track of sub "log", "chunk of rock", or "metal bars" amoutns of stuff.)And should also probably display like smoothed walls do, since you could do this to an area as small as one tile if you really wanted to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version