Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On Bridges  (Read 1300 times)

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On Bridges
« on: September 09, 2009, 02:46:50 am »

I've been genning worlds recently, and I found something interesting. An island seperated from the mainland by a single embark tile.

If I were to build a bridge connecting the island to the mainland, would traders from other civs be able to visit the island? Would I need to abandon first so they can register the bridge?

Or would that bridge be useless?
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

lemonpieman

• Bay Watcher
  • Maario
    • View Profile
Re: On Bridges
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 03:11:33 am »

Do it and tell us, we have no idea.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 03:43:16 am »

Somone did this before.

The answer is "Yes"

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 03:44:54 am »

Well, I was going to right now, but then I noticed something.

There was already land connecting the two.

For some reason, however, the game reads it as the water is blcoking the two apart. Actually, if you were to settle on the island while near the one embark tile seperation, you woul have access to all civs. Move over, and you lose connection.

Island-connecting bridges may, sadly, be impossible.

@Neruz: Are you sure? From what I've seen it may just not count the bridge, as it has a wierd definition of wheter it's an island or not. Still going to try, just not as hopeful.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 04:07:12 am »

Awhile back somone had an island that had Elves on it and was seperated by about 3 embark tiles of sea. It was the only location in his entire world that had Elves, and it only had Elves. The 'mainland' had everything except Elves.

After he embarked upon the location and built a bridge across, he abandoned and checked the island\mainland out again, the mainland now had access to Elves, and the island now had access to all the other races.

Another person did the same thing with a world seperated into north\south halves, with Orcs only in the North, and Humans\Elves in the south. Crossed the world with a bridge, abandoned, poof, Orcs in the South, Humans\Elves in the north.

-EDIT-

Here's the thread.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 04:09:18 am by Neruz »