Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What topic would you like us to cover during the discussion segment of the next Dwarf Fortress Talk?

World Gen & History Gen:  Building A Unique World
- 178 (34.1%)
The Trades:  How To Make Soap (etc.) for Fun and Profit
- 155 (29.7%)
The Mysteries of the Underworld:  Animal-Men Kingdoms
- 189 (36.2%)

Total Members Voted: 522

Voting closed: September 21, 2009, 05:33:42 am

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Topic Vote  (Read 36683 times)

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Topic Vote
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 10:43:09 am »

Ahh, can't I vote for all of them?

Worldgen wins out for me, because the power to generate such detailed worlds from sets of parameters is what sets DF apart. But I'd like to hear from all three. Can the other topics get carried forward?

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 10:49:42 am »

Voted for trade.

Remnant designation for stockpiles? Or will doctors/nurses automatically prefer to grab remnants?
I can see it now... 574 Dwarflengths of thread... zero whole threads.

Soldats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 12:38:46 pm »

Awwwwwwww!

They are all really good topics (most of which haven't really been explained in depth except for maybe the trades) maybe you could touch on all of them but only discuss indepth the one that wins? Please? :3

Voted for trades

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 12:43:16 pm »

Voted for underground kingdoms, because i love the idea of having something that can possibly attack my fortress in a different way. I love all 3 topics though D:
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 01:25:51 pm »

Voted for trades, because there's lots of interesting improvements that could make life better there.
I like the others too. though underground stuff and worldgen have been discussed quite a bit lately.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

makute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 02:02:13 pm »

I go for trades. There are too many items (soap, extracts, etc.) without real use.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 02:26:07 pm »

Ya'll realize this is a 'what to talk about' vote, right?

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 02:47:53 pm »

I think they know.  :)  I'm glad that you guys like the topic suggestions, I tried to create three topics that I would like to talk about no matter what.  However, I did vote for one.  I dare you to try to figure out which one!    :-X
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 03:13:52 pm »

I voted for The Mysteries of the Underworld:  Animal-Men Kingdoms and I don't care how furry that makes me.
I hope kobolds aren't eclipsed or made (more) irrelevant.

Compare (present) kobolds to the new animalmen.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 03:37:30 pm »

Voted for trade.

I'm rather pumped about trade; you can try to simulate empires all you want, but until you get trade, all you can hope to do is abstract everything related to... well, anything.

Slumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 03:57:23 pm »

Voted for trade. 

I think I have some idea on how awesome those two other areas will be.  But I can't guess what the intentions are for trade.  I'm curious!

Shadetree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 04:14:24 pm »

They're all good.  I went Worldgen though because that interests me the most.  Especially with Toady's way of expounding on things in these talks I think it would end up covering a larger range of topics.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 05:37:10 pm »

Just to be clear, "The Trades" voting item isn't really about trading between empires, although there may be some discussion that comes up tangentially.  It's about crafting, engraving, soapmaking, weaponsmithing, etc: how it works now and how it will work in the future.  Not that economics is off the table totally, it's just that Toady tells me he isn't ready to talk specifically about economics models and theory until he's done more research.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 05:42:30 pm »

Just to be clear, "The Trades" voting item isn't really about trading between empires, although there may be some discussion that comes up tangentially.  It's about crafting, engraving, soapmaking, weaponsmithing, etc: how it works now and how it will work in the future.  Not that economics is off the table totally, it's just that Toady tells me he isn't ready to talk specifically about economics models and theory until he's done more research.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I am a broken man now, forever lost to whatever addiction lays claim to my ruined life.

I guess I'll still keep my vote on it, though, since it's something that actually affects DF mode the most.

BlckKnght

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2009, 07:57:59 pm »

I voted for "The Trades".  I would love to hear about what Toady One has in mind for the future of dwarven production. I'm especially interested in future plans for workshops, which seem to have scouted out for the addition of hospital zones in the recent health care updates.

When can we expect to see more flexible workshops spread to other areas of the fortress?

There are some interesting craft technologies that could fit within the dwarven technology base, such as waterwheel powered trip-hammers for forging metal, but they would probably require a different workshop system. Other workshop ideas, like saw pits, would also benefit from a workshop system that could span z-levels and have multiple workers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5