Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What topic would you like us to cover during the discussion segment of the next Dwarf Fortress Talk?

World Gen & History Gen:  Building A Unique World
- 178 (34.1%)
The Trades:  How To Make Soap (etc.) for Fun and Profit
- 155 (29.7%)
The Mysteries of the Underworld:  Animal-Men Kingdoms
- 189 (36.2%)

Total Members Voted: 522

Voting closed: September 21, 2009, 05:33:42 am

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Topic Vote  (Read 36815 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Topic Vote
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2009, 04:31:07 pm »

The problem with that is, it's essentially overground civs crammed against walls of a huge space. Not that they didn't do it well,but...what's the point of ramparts that you can drop stuff from if you can bring your soldiers in from above with a bit more climbing?

Besides. is not good with the whole pillar-stalactite-treefortish thing.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2009, 06:56:26 pm »

i had a few threads up a while ago postulating on how to run an ai city, and since i find the world gen facinating i would like to ask the question:

how are sites going to affect world gen history (fortified sites vs twonships, combat vs trade) and how do you plan to make sites more interesting?

for example, will the new world gen combat be able to take into account how defensible a site is? will we be able to see towns with elaborate wall sytems and towers? are there plans for worldgen to be able to use player designed constructions?

also, does toady find threads that talk about functinaliy usefull, or does he prefer to think about the implementation of game mechanics/other sugestions on his own?

Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2009, 10:20:33 am »

I voted trades.

Also, for those who want to see Jason and the Argonauts, it is on tomorrow 9:00 AM EST

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2009, 11:47:01 am »

I voted trades.

Also, for those who want to see Jason and the Argonauts, it is on tomorrow 9:00 AM EST

What channel?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2009, 09:32:56 pm »

Oh, sorry forgot to mention it. Scifi.

244 on DirecTv IIRC

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2009, 01:50:46 am »

I voted trade, I am especially interested in Liason overhaul, or at least beefing him up, because right now if he dies, no more trade...
While the other topics are interesting, we hear/read a lot about them anyway.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2009, 08:14:47 am »

I voted trade, I am especially interested in Liason overhaul, or at least beefing him up, because right now if he dies, no more trade...

Just to be clear, "The Trades" voting item isn't really about trading between empires, although there may be some discussion that comes up tangentially.  It's about crafting, engraving, soapmaking, weaponsmithing, etc: how it works now and how it will work in the future.  Not that economics is off the table totally, it's just that Toady tells me he isn't ready to talk specifically about economics models and theory until he's done more research.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I voted for trade, thinking the same thing as you.  Even given the clarification by Rainseeker, however, I still want to hear about trade over the other two options, so I kept my vote.  You might feel otherwise, though, so here's your chance to correct your vote.

Although with so many people thinking, hoping, or wishing trade were actually about inter-kingdom exchange of goods, if trade does win the vote, I wouldn't be surprised if more of the talk were devoted to the exchange topic than originally planned (within the stated constraints of avoiding talk of economic models and such things of course).

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2009, 11:57:48 am »

Why doesn't anybody want to know about underground stuff? When the mole people rise up against our dwarves, it's your fault if we're unprepared because we decided we cared more about other stuff.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2009, 01:30:24 pm »

Why doesn't anybody want to know about underground stuff? When the mole people rise up against our dwarves, it's your fun if we're unprepared because we decided we cared more about other stuff.
I think that's it.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2009, 11:20:24 pm »

I want to hear about the underworld stuff, I think that will be interesting and gives us something to look forward to. Who doesn't want an underground siege?!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2009, 01:31:23 am »

I want to hear about the underworld stuff, I think that will be interesting and gives us something to look forward to. Who doesn't want an underground siege?!

If it including a certain other topic with it Id be more interested. (Certain HFS type stuff)

Though right now it seems to be based off of a certain spoiler and Animal-men who are also above ground (and not that interesting at the moment). Which I am not tooo tooo interested in without something more tangable to grasp.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2009, 11:10:20 pm »

DWARVES:  Uhhh... not us, laddy!
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2009, 11:21:04 pm »

Wot if we're doin' the seigin'?
Tilesets

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2009, 11:45:16 pm »

Wot if we're doin' the seigin'?

DWARVES:  That's th' right idea, laddy!  From the UNDERGROUND!  We'll cave 'em in an' take their babies for a change!
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Teaser
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2009, 05:13:09 am »

Re: the new teaser -- Rainseeker, you are amazing, talented and obviously on drugs.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5