Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: inefficiency in hauling tasks  (Read 2461 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
inefficiency in hauling tasks
« on: September 09, 2009, 08:16:12 am »

I just noticed, while playing hermit challenge: Dwarves multitask, and probably as bad as old windows versions (they pretend to multitask but actually don't).

Even though my lone dwarf was busy making some rock coffins, there was an item tasked for hauling in the kitchen. He finished the coffins first, then proceeded to haul the item. All this time, the item remained tasked.
This is very inefficient. If I had more dwarves, this could have meant that one dwarf would idly pick his nose, because the item he could haul was already tasked for hauling by another dwarf. Only, that other dwarf had to carve 8 coffins first before hauling.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 08:21:11 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: inefficiency in hauling tasks
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 09:01:17 am »

Thats why you turn hauling jobs off of your full time workers.  That way they keep making stuff and don't waste time hauling.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

golden joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 05:49:59 pm »

What does a hermit need coffins for?

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 05:56:08 pm »

The other six dwarves.  How do you think he got to be a hermit?

The inefficiency is really just shotty optimization on the game's part.  Toady will fix it sooner or later.  Generally, the game tasks things to idle dwarves and if none are available, it seems to retask it to the first appropriate dwarf to become available...it presumably isn't enough of a problem to optimize now.  This is especially true when you consider that DF is technically in alpha stages.  How often do you optimize your alpha?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 05:58:26 pm »

He prefers to be alone (actually in his description)
There's already 28 filled coffins now. I get migrants almost every season, however horrible I kill em.
Also, the RNG gave this fort a very appropriate name: The Doors of Slaughter
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

IronBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 07:27:05 pm »

How often do you optimize your alpha?
I find this question funny, for a reason I don't know.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 09:02:29 pm »

Riding down the side of a mountain like a toboggan?

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 06:02:16 pm »

Regarding the OP - I'm not sure you have the correct notion of how tasks are assigned. Yes, that item was tasked to be hauled, but it wasn't tasked to be hauled BY THAT DWARF(beyond that being the only dwarf left). It would've kept sitting there, waiting for a dwarf to become available who had the requisite hauling labors on, and then grabbed that dwarf to do it. The hauler would not have been stuck doing nothing while the other dwarf finished carving coffins.

For that matter, I've had dwarves put down their workshop duties and go haul. Doesn't seem to happen as often, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it without bio interruptions.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.