Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Alzheimer's preparation  (Read 3543 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Alzheimer's preparation
« on: September 10, 2009, 12:07:00 am »

It turns out that there are quite a few members in my family and extended family that suffers from Alzheimers. My understanding is hereditary Alzheimer's is very rare (10% of all Alzheimer's sufferers) but I thought that on the off chance that I ever come down with it, I should at least capitalize on it.

So I decided to solve a little mind-body problem. I wrote a note which basically says,

Dear me,

If you are reading this and don't know who wrote this, it means you lost your memory and I am your past self. How do you feel? Do you recognize this handwriting? When you look at this card, does it seem like a message you wrote to yourself or a message that someone else wrote to you? In other words, are you a new person, no longer (Umiman) or are you the same (Umiman) as I am?

Suppose, future me, that you, in the future, remember everything about me. What happens then? Are you (Umiman) #3 who merely sees your current self and my current self as different people who happened to share your body or will you be one of us?

I hope you can answer these questions and I wish you the best of luck.

Your past self,
(Umiman)

Kinda makes me want to get Alzheimer's or any other memory-related loss just to see this experiment in action... though I guess I may or may not be there to see it happen.

Killas[SiN]

• Bay Watcher
  • [SiN]
    • View Profile
Re: Alzheimer's preparation
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 12:11:39 am »

Don't worry, if provide yourself with a link to explain all that transpired since your new self to come to Bay 12, we would happily take care of this experiment for you.

Atleast until Toonyman or some other insane persons says that you were a Caffeine addict who frequented prostitution to fund your quick-fix.
You should make Korean pros into game-ending, SPEED:0 megabeasts.
A Jaedong appears at your fort.
DF: gg
DF has left the game.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 01:30:05 am »

If I lost my memory, I would visit Google Chrome. It automatically puts my favorite sites on top.. that way I know what sort of things I liked most about the Internet :P

But then I'd probably forget my password to half of them. And the answers to the forgot password check
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 06:59:35 am »

???
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:38:50 pm by 0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0 »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 07:33:19 am »

If I am destroyed, I would want someone to kill of my body so nobody else can arise in it and have access to things only I should.
For me these things are not abstract or even philosophical problems at all, I have an narrow definition of what I am, and deal with things like the nature of time, memory, identity, sapience, life/death, etc. on a daily basis out of necessity. "Normal people" take these things for granted, and hence they do not understand them well once they have to deal with the mechanics behind them. If you buy your car in a store, you might get a better one, but if there is no store to buy it from and you have to build it out of scrap, you will be much better at fixing it.

Edit: spelling.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 07:34:20 am »

Seriously, Armok. We get it. You're a transhumanist.

This thread isn't about that, it's about preparing for Alzheimer's.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 07:36:15 am »

What has me being a transhumanist to do with this stuff?
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 07:37:19 am »

Exactly, it has nothing to do with this stuff.

You should create a thread for discussing the possibilites of transhumanism instead.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 07:38:26 am »

You seem to bring it up everywhere.

Anyway, this experiment seems interesting. I hope it's never carried out.

But if it is, tell us how it wen - oh.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 07:44:47 am »

Eh, just forget about it.

I had to say that. I CAN'T HELP IT, IT'S A CONDITION!
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 07:47:24 am »

Umiman, do you have a diary?

Keep one with you at all times. Use it to tell your 'future' self about his 'past' self.

(Note: I does not believe in reductionism......... So........ Well, good luck)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 07:58:37 am »

You should create a thread for discussing the possibilites of transhumanism instead.
I meant what does my post have to do with transuhumanism? It was not abaut any future technology or anything superhuman, it was about memory and identity of current vs. future self, exactly the same as the OP.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 08:00:27 am »

I meant what does my post have to do with transuhumanism? It was not abaut any future technology or anything superhuman, it was about memory and identity of current vs. future self, exactly the same as the OP.

Oh. Sorry, it sounded like you were discussing memory transfer, which is very transhuman.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 10:46:19 am »

Umiman, do you have a diary?

Keep one with you at all times. Use it to tell your 'future' self about his 'past' self.

(Note: I does not believe in reductionism......... So........ Well, good luck)
Haha, no patience for that kind of stuff. If I ever lose my memory, the future me will have to make do with this note.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 11:15:09 am »

What was I supposed to post here?
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.
Pages: [1] 2 3