Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shameless self promotion. My adventure into creating a Roguelike in Python.  (Read 4280 times)

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I have decided to pick up the game I started deving a few months back (someone might remember the few posts I made in the roguelike development megathread), and have started a blog on the development posting ideas, planned features, and anything significant to the development process. Its currently named Lost Horizon, and is a roguelike written in Python with libtcod.  There are currently only a few posts, but I do update regularly.

Feel free to post comments, questions and/or suggestions here or on my blog. If you are interested please add yourself to my followers list. Thanks!  ;)

http://mark-mckinley.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 02:43:53 pm by Grishnak »
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shameless self promotion.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 07:54:16 am »

python? OH F*CK YEAH.

Will try this.

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 08:19:43 am »

Its going to be a long project, but I am probably going to do something similar to tech demos for certain aspects of the game throughout the dev period. Kind of what jice is doing with Doryen. Mind you, its only in the VERY early stages of development.

MANY thanks for the interest though. I hope you will eventually enjoy it. ;)
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 08:35:09 am »

The thing is, I am learning Python too... But I am stuck.

I don't know what should I code :P

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 08:44:17 am »

Start a roguelike. ;)  There are so many possiblities for them.  Mix and match your favorite parts of roguelikes into a super hybrid of awesome. Thats what Im attempting.

Lemme know if you ever wanna take a peek at some of the code, or want some help with something. If I can help I will.
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 08:58:30 am »

'K.

Still, HOLY SHIT at your ideas. DF-esque day and night system? Modifiable terrain?

STORY? Oh God, a Roguelike with a story-emphasis approach. Awesomeness overload.

(Ah, I want to see the code, but, well, I don't think I can read half of it. OK, perhaps 25%, due to the way Python set up his syntax (really, really easy to pick up))

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 09:09:54 am »

'K.

Still, HOLY SHIT at your ideas. DF-esque day and night system? Modifiable terrain?

STORY? Oh God, a Roguelike with a story-emphasis approach. Awesomeness overload.

(Ah, I want to see the code, but, well, I don't think I can read half of it. OK, perhaps 25%, due to the way Python set up his syntax (really, really easy to pick up))

I'm absolute ass at programming things, but I can do stories! I WANNA HELP!
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 09:18:55 am »

Vester, I am interested in someone that can write a good story. I seen that topic you have in this forum as well, and it seems as though you do have a good imagination, check your pm. ;)

And thanks for all the positive feedback so far, this is very encouraging. :D
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 09:24:54 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Grishnak, do you think Python will be the language of the future? After all, now a Symbian-version has just been released... Java is obsolete now. :P
_____________________________________________________ [/offtopic]

Oh yeah! Vester is joining too! :D

Well, welcome, sir Grishnak.

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 09:32:37 am »

Well, python is already really big, due to the fact that its very quick to code in, and is extremely fast for an interpreted language (in some cases as fast or faster than c++!). There are even some big games that use python, Civ 4 for example uses it.

Python in general is really easy to learn, just grab some source code, google your ass off, and just fiddle around. Get an idea, and try to make it work. If you get stuck, google!
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 09:46:08 am »

I see...

So... What source-code do you think that is easy enough for beginner? (I have tried to learn pyGame and I failed, hard. Even though I can do RenPy...)

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 09:50:33 am »

Try this site
http://www.uselesspython.com/

Its got some good stuff on it. Other than that, look at any open source project in general. Look for something that is well commented. wxPython has some pretty good stuff on its wiki. The best way to learn, is to jump in head first. The documentation is really helpful for python. And I can pass you some code I was helping a friend out with, sounds like hes in the same boat as you.
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 10:12:22 am »

Thanks!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 01:44:37 pm »

Because of you, I have decided to learn Python. Here we go. :)

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 02:36:18 pm »

Glad I could be of service.  And I have to say, I love all of this positive feedback! It is now a personal mission to not dissappoint anyone. ;)

So, scrolling is finished, not optimized, but it works, and I am now currently working on the zones as outlined in the latest post in my blog.  I accidentally figured out how Im going to do it as well, hell ya.

And Kash, if you ever have questions or anything feel free to pm me, and I will answer to the best of my knowldge. ;)
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel
Pages: [1] 2