Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Shameless self promotion. My adventure into creating a Roguelike in Python.  (Read 4279 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Shameless self promotion. My adventure into creating a Roguelike in Python.
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 08:07:59 am »

This looks interesting, but I'm not sure about the way you set up the randomly chosen storylines. You generally do not want to encourage scumming so that you get the story you want, it just frustrates people.

Also, since you plan on having perma-death optional, it would be cool if you had something like "he/she was a dashing rogue" added to the text file for those that choose to do so (it only counts if you call it!).

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 09:15:54 am »

Well, like I said in the blog, its not set in stone and the randomly chosen story line was just an idea, but thanks for the input, Ill take it into consideration.  The storyline is still pretty far away from being implemented, and is probably one of the later things I will add into the game.
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 10:29:37 am »

If it's not too late for this, I wrote down an idea for turns/timing in rogue-likes in my dev-blog.  If it doesn't make any sense (which it may not, I was half-asleep when I wrote it) let me know and I can try to explain it a little better...

I'll definitely keep an eye on this.  Once I get a little more comfortable with C++ I may try a rogue-like, so watching the development of another rogue-like, even if it is in a different language, will likely help.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 06:58:03 am »

Definitely sounds like an interesting project.  Keep at it!   8)

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 07:50:56 pm »

I've been walking Magikarcher through coding his own roguelike in Python (and libtcod, which is simply the greatest roguelike library ever) these past couple of days on IRC. I'm no expert, but it looks like I know enough to help people get started. Swing by if you ever want any help.

Hell, I may even do a "Let's Program" or something.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 08:47:59 am »

What irc channel on which network?  I might stop by to help out ;)

New update on my blog involving hard drive faillure of sorts. Dont worry, it wasnt the one with my code on it!
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 10:09:14 am »

*Chaoticag, Baywatcher, mandates the construction of 3 backups*

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 11:39:48 am »

Thats already been taken care of. ;) I have one copy sent to each of my emails, one on my flash stick, another on my mp3 player, and one more on a mini SD card I have. I am a bit paranoid now. :)
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 01:31:08 pm »

Thats already been taken care of. ;) I have one copy sent to each of my emails, one on my flash stick, another on my mp3 player, and one more on a mini SD card I have. I am a bit paranoid now. :)
I would be too.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009, 05:39:23 pm »

What irc channel on which network?  I might stop by to help out ;)

New update on my blog involving hard drive faillure of sorts. Dont worry, it wasnt the one with my code on it!

Why, #bay12games on Newnet, of course.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.
Pages: 1 [2]