Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not using bins on reclaim  (Read 1688 times)

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves not using bins on reclaim
« on: September 10, 2009, 11:13:39 am »

So, I'm playing with CivForge and a tiny bit of custom tweaking. So far so good, but I didn't build up my military fast enough. Bugbear ambush I dealt with by means of traps; then... Chaos Dwarves.

Who, as I recall, are trap immune.

I fled that carnage, and came back with a reclaim. Of course, this means all my goods are everywhere.

Most of the things are fine. The real problem is in my finished goods stockpile. The dwarves absolutely do not want to put it in bins. I misdesignated an additional stockpile as armor, and IT got a bin(empty, as all my armor was already stored); when I changed the settings to make it a goods stockpile and not armor, they did bring goods to that pile and put them in that bin. But they aren't bringing any more bins.

I have bins to spare. They are not forbidden. Dwarves are hauling goods AND furniture around, so neither is the problem there. Bins are not reserved on the stockpile setting. They've brought bins to other stockpiles, no problem. The only thing I can think of is that the original stockpile overfilled - but the dwarves normally grab bins as they become available, and stuff goods into them.

For finished goods, they're not doing that.

Suggestions?
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not using bins on reclaim
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 11:18:21 am »

I've had trouble with bins.  Make sure the stockpile is set to use bins.  Also make sure there is at least 1 free space to stick a bin.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 11:41:51 am »

The stockpile's max bins figure is plenty high. As for the latter, well...

They've never needed to before. But even when I tried to clear up space on the stockpile(e.g. melting some instruments), all the dwarves did was bring in another item, not a bin.

To reiterate - with other stockpiles, if they're full with at least some loose items, and a bin is freed up, the dwarves will move the items into the bin, and the bin to the stockpile. Not so with finished goods, and I'm thinking it may be the sheer numbers of xpig tail socksx and such lying around from the old inhabitants.

Sigh. Guess I'll have to keep trying to find space for finished goods stockpiles until such time as they get the bins in order.

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 11:52:10 am »

Is it possible that some of the bins are bit by the 'reclaiming when items were already tasked before abandonment' bug?

That is: look to see if some of your ample bins are simply -not- used.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 02:14:00 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean. Although I can't say for sure I've seen the old bins get shoved around, I know they are similarly failing to use brand-new bins.

And I'm *mostly* sure the bins weren't in the stockpile when I started.

I'm not familiar with the bug to which you refer.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 03:15:29 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean. Although I can't say for sure I've seen the old bins get shoved around, I know they are similarly failing to use brand-new bins.

And I'm *mostly* sure the bins weren't in the stockpile when I started.

I'm not familiar with the bug to which you refer.
The bug is that items which were tasked at the moment of abandoning simply won't work. They're not forbidden, but your dwarves still won't do anything with those items. "Tasked" means that a dwarf, for example, is like "I'm gonna haul that stone right there!" and the stone gets "tasked", meaning that, as far as I know, all the other dwarves will simply ignore the stone. Items that are being used in workshops also get tasked.
The bug makes that items that are tasked when you abandon can't be used after abandoning.
Were the finished goods made before abandoning? Were the "finished goods" bins made before abandoning? If yes, then it could be that bug. Do the finished goods get hauled to the stockpile? If yes I have no idea.

Also, the bug can be solved by moving the bugged items. Your dwarves can't move them actively (I'm not sure about dumping), but you could dig a channel where the item is. It will fall down and your dwarves should be able to recover it.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 05:56:59 pm »

I'm familiar with the way items are spoken for by tasks. I wasn't aware those tasks still held onto the items after a reclaim, was all(even though there's no way to actually get a dwarf to do them anymore).

The goods are being hauled, I think the bins are being hauled, and as mentioned, I made brand new bins(which DEFINITELY got hauled, at least as far as the stockpile).

I just don't know, then...