Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Pigeon transfers data faster than broadband  (Read 3338 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Pigeon transfers data faster than broadband
« on: September 10, 2009, 11:30:23 am »

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8248056.stm

Extract:
Broadband promised to unite the world with super-fast data delivery - but in South Africa it seems the web is still no faster than a humble pigeon. A Durban IT company pitted an 11-month-old bird armed with a 4GB memory stick against the ADSL service from the country's biggest web firm, Telkom. Winston the pigeon took two hours to carry the data 60 miles - in the same time the ADSL had sent 4% of the data. Telkom said it was not responsible for the firm's slow internet speeds.

Hahahaha, I definitely believe it considering how crappy broadband is outside of first world countries. Heck, I think a hamster with a USB stick stuck to it would be faster than Malaysia's Streamyx.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pigeon transfers data faster than broadband
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 11:47:25 am »

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8248056.stm

Extract:
Broadband promised to unite the world with super-fast data delivery - but in South Africa it seems the web is still no faster than a humble pigeon. A Durban IT company pitted an 11-month-old bird armed with a 4GB memory stick against the ADSL service from the country's biggest web firm, Telkom. Winston the pigeon took two hours to carry the data 60 miles - in the same time the ADSL had sent 4% of the data. Telkom said it was not responsible for the firm's slow internet speeds.

Hahahaha, I definitely believe it considering how crappy broadband is outside of first world countries. Heck, I think a hamster with a USB stick stuck to it would be faster than Malaysia's Streamyx.

Haha, that's awesome.

Although it's a good way to spread computer viruses.  Like the Bird Flu.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 11:57:06 am »

Heh, Malaysia's TM is run by idiots. You'd be surprised how advanced the technology in third world countries are. They just don't have much inertia holding back technological achievements. But then they don't have that many people who know how to use it either. They have some superb telecom infrastructure, but too many 'experts' can't even distribute traffic properly.

That sort of belonged in the rant thread, hehe.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 12:27:09 pm »

Hell, with the right mediums one could make a pigeon faster for data transfer than damn near anything.

Just tack a few Terrabyte Solid State drives and you are golden.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 01:20:44 pm »

Hell, with the right mediums one could make a pigeon faster for data transfer than damn near anything.

How would the pigeon fly?

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 01:27:26 pm »

It's a big pigeon.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 01:29:46 pm »

I guess we could also strap harddrives to a poorly paid slave and have him run around between buildings.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 01:31:50 pm »

I guess we could also strap harddrives to a poorly paid slave worker and have him run around between buildings.
You don't pay slaves.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 01:32:51 pm »

You guys think that's funny, but basically that was a big topic for cycle messengers for years. We were the friggin pigeons.

As long as it was faster to burn a DVD (actually it's funny, we never got memory sticks or any other data carriers, for that matter) and send it with a guy on a bike than just send the same data through the intartubes we had enough work to actually earn some money.

Moral of the story: if you wanna be a messenger, go third world and bring a vial full of bird flu wotsits.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 02:12:50 pm »

How would the pigeon fly?

You could take two pidgeons and strap the coconu... eh, the drives to them with a string.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 02:19:56 pm »

My connection can pull down about a 1gb a day so yes a pigeon would be faster  :-\
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 03:36:47 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:55:51 pm by Stany »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 03:55:33 pm »

With Usenet, I can easily do 50gb a day on my Canadian Teksavvy internet. Actually the same speed as the pigeon, hahaha.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 03:58:27 pm »

It really depends on what you want....  Convenience vs Speed...

Convenience as in:
1. Sit on your arse.
2. Move a few files around and send it.
3. Go do something else and forget about it.

Speed:
1. Get off your arse.
2a. Find that damned pigeon that would go to X place.  (Oh no! I'm out! Need to go buy more!)
2b. Go to the pigeon post office.
3. Attach 4gb usb or sd card to pigeon and let it go.
4. Hope it doesn't get shot down and eaten by rednecks.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: [1] 2 3