Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Kingmaker Mafia - Game Over - All hail PLOTTER SCUM Free Beer!  (Read 23930 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Kingmaker Mafia - Game Over - All hail PLOTTER SCUM Free Beer!
« on: September 10, 2009, 03:33:01 pm »

Since I haven't seen any variants of Kingmaker Mafia here, I've decided to start one.  As I'm not sure how much experience everyone has with this form of mafia, it will be a fairly simple KM game with just Townies, Kingmaker, Assasins, Super Saint and Doctor.

Obviously I did not make up the game, but I really like the concept, and would therefore like to mod a game (it's also a very easy type of mafia to mod :P).  I suppose we could go for something like 12 players with 3 assasins, but that's open for debate.

The basic rules:
One of the townies is the King Maker.  Every night he chooses two people - the first will be king, and the second will be king if the first choice is killed.  Unlike in normal mafia games, noone has control of the vote except for the king.  The king will choose who to kill, and therefore in the dayphase you have to influence the king towards who you think is scum.  Of course, the king himself could be scum, which is why the KM has to choose carefully.

If the KM is lynched or NK'd, a new KM is randomly chosen from the townies (in the case of an NK, however, the old KM's choice is the one that will be used (rule may be changed, but I can't see how to without doubling the length of the nightphase)).

The Super Saint is a special pro-town role that, if executed, will have the town execute the king too.

The Doctor functions like a Doctor from any other Mafia game, protecting someone each night.

Additional notes:
If the King fails to make a choice by the end of the day deadline he is killed.  He can elect to No Lynch, however, and he may end the day whenever he likes with an execution or no lynch.
Everyone will know who the King is.  The King is the one who has control over when the day ends, but he has to do it within the deadline (shall we say the standard 48 hours?).  For this reason, once the King has made his decision to excecute someone, he cannot undo it, and noone else may post for the day (which will end as soon as I see the thread).  Please do not write "EXECUTE <PLAYERNAME>" if you're not the King, it will confuse people.

Game over, Plotters win.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 03:58:57 pm by Leafsnail »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Kingmaker Mafia
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 03:35:38 pm »

I'm not in enough of these. I'll play!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 03:44:40 pm »

In

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 04:47:22 pm »

Ok, you're on.  Working on flavour text and pms now :P.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 04:53:30 pm »

I've always wondered why the rule about not claiming as the Kingmaker is there.

In.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 05:00:28 pm »

In, but I won't be able to converse till this afternoon.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 05:03:21 pm »

So, are the assassins basically the mafia in this game? They get to choose who to nightkill, and no other special abilities, correct?

I'm not sure I'd have enough time to play one of these, so I'll just spectate instead.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 05:40:12 pm »

in
Back to Mafia with me!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 07:59:20 pm »

Rule 1: webadict is always King

Rule 2: You must vote for webadict

Oh wait, that's assassin.

Anyway, !in.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 08:32:35 pm »

In!
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 08:44:29 pm »

If I played this... you should definetly king me...

actually... web would be KM and would king me...

and Pandar would  randomly say I'm scum once I take some time to decide.

The only warning is... The KM and the king must be active or otherwise the whole lot of the players will not have an incentive to talk...

MOD: I disagree with the rule that makes the old choice as the king... The randomly chosen KM should have a time frame to choose a new king... otherwise the game is easyly broken.  Less WIFOM chances.

The KM not being able to claim sucks.  How do are you gonna rule on hints, anyway? 

The hero should NEVER be able to be kingmaker but should be able to be the king... And, as I have played, if the king lynches the hero the hero dies and later the town kills the king in anger. (result: They both die)
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 09:19:47 pm »

Rule 1: webadict is always King

Rule 2: You must vote for webadict

Oh wait, that's assassin.

Anyway, !in.
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!!!!

I hate you all for that game.

Also, I'm not in unless:

The basic rules:
The KM cannot choose the same King two nights running unless there are 5 or fewer players remaining.
Why not? There's no problem with two Kings in a row. It could even be scum twice in a row.

The Hero is a special pro-town role that, if he is chosen for execution, won't be executed, and the King will be executed instead.  Once this has happened the KM is no longer allowed to choose him as King.
Do the Super Saint idea. It's easier to implement than that. Although, if you do that, you could also add in a Doctor, just for a bit more town power.

Additional notes:
No lynch is not an option for the King.  If the King fails to make a choice by the end of the day deadline he is killed.
No Lynch is a good idea sometimes, especially with a 12-player game, where it can get down to 4 people. I think it should be allowed, unless there's a reason not to.

If the KM reveals his role or hints at it, he will be modkilled.
? Why? It is part of a play in the game. Plus, it helps at endgame to confuse everyone.

I'm just going off of IRC Mafia. It's a nice game, actually.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 11:55:17 am »

So, are the assassins basically the mafia in this game? They get to choose who to nightkill, and no other special abilities, correct?
Yeah, pretty much.  Just reskinned mafia.

The KM and the king must be active or otherwise the whole lot of the players will not have an incentive to talk...
Yup, although you won't know if the KM is inactive or not, I suppose.  The King will be executed if he goes a day without doing anything, so they wouldn't intentionally lurk at least.

MOD: I disagree with the rule that makes the old choice as the king... The randomly chosen KM should have a time frame to choose a new king... otherwise the game is easyly broken.  Less WIFOM chances.
I suppose, although this would mean an extended night phase.

as I have played, if the king lynches the hero the hero dies and later the town kills the king in anger. (result: They both die)
It seems to be an anti town role, although I suppose webadict's suggestion of adding a doc could counteract that.  Change made.

Why not? There's no problem with two Kings in a row. It could even be scum twice in a row.
I was waiting for confirmation on this one - it seems to be in the rule set I consulted, and I didn't think it would be a good idea to just mess about with it.  I suppose I could remove it though - I don't see anything wrong with it myself.  Change made.

No Lynch is a good idea sometimes, especially with a 12-player game, where it can get down to 4 people. I think it should be allowed, unless there's a reason not to.
So I suppose the King could just write No Lynch and end the day?  Fine.

? Why? It is part of a play in the game. Plus, it helps at endgame to confuse everyone.
Rule set I was consulting, and I didn't particularly want to mess with it randomly.  I suppose we could make this change though.

Rule changes:
Hero replaced with Super Saint
Doctor added
Same King twice in a row now allowed
No lynches allowed, but if the King doesn't make any decision at all he's still lynched
KM is now allowed to claim

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 12:34:48 pm »

The number one way to learn is to playtest, so yeah.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 12:52:39 pm »

This has been tempting me so I was going to in...

But it seems Im already in...  :P

So it's good.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17