Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [NEED HELP] Compiling the Source Code  (Read 805 times)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
[NEED HELP] Compiling the Source Code
« on: September 30, 2009, 12:00:24 am »

Hey peeps... I'm stuck... Can anyone help me as to what the heck the next step is? Am I even doing it right? I got to this stage via pure exploration:

PS - I've made some changes to the game files and now I'm trying to put everything back together so I can run the game. Is this even possible using XP? All the information I've looked at refers to UNIX and is ultra-super complicated... Meanwhile the program Dev-C++ can't seem to find the files or something? There's some kind of problem...

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:15:54 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [NEED HELP] Compiling the Source Code
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 12:40:05 am »

I've been down the open source path you're on with the LCS source in XP, and can't say I recommend it. Just download MSVC 2008 Express Edition. It'll be far fewer headaches for you.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 12:44:59 am »

I've been down the open source path you're on with the LCS source in XP, and can't say I recommend it. Just download MSVC 2008 Express Edition. It'll be far fewer headaches for you.

I've got this too but I am COMPLETELY lost in MSVC 2008, could you give me a quick guide?

PS - to elaborate further on my problem I can figure out how to load the GAME directory up in MSVC and make changes and even how to send all the new files to a RELEASE or DEBUG folder but not how to get all the individual files from that folder into a single workable .exe/LCS package???

This is what I'm seeing:

This is what I want to see:

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 01:44:14 am by The13thRonin »

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 03:30:58 am »

If you've compiled already, Visual Studio has already merged all that junk into crimesquad.exe. To get from picture A to picture B, all you have to do is copy the crimesquad.exe file from picture A (it's the white box in the upper middle) and paste it over the crimesquad.exe in picture B. Then say yes if you want to overwrite. That's literally what I do when I'm building releases.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 03:41:59 am »

If you've compiled already, Visual Studio has already merged all that junk into crimesquad.exe. To get from picture A to picture B, all you have to do is copy the crimesquad.exe file from picture A (it's the white box in the upper middle) and paste it over the crimesquad.exe in picture B. Then say yes if you want to overwrite. That's literally what I do when I'm building releases.

I'm an idiot...

Thanks Fox... Can't believe I couldn't figure that out after several hours of attempting to run command prompts and installing every program known to mankind...