Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting Strategies  (Read 2168 times)

Zombie0hour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starting Strategies
« on: September 10, 2009, 11:07:51 pm »

Just thought I might want to hear some of your guys starting strategies. Money making? Recruitment? First actions?
"I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Strategies
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 11:17:08 pm »

recruit people, send all but one to make money, send other to covert missions to damage conservitive infostructure, keep founder out of harms way, etc. etc.
Hello Hunam

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 01:25:46 pm »

Have founder selectively recruit hippies - high heart (music is easy to train so it's not necessary to have it initially), and at least one who has decent driving skill to ease getting away. Tailoring, cooking and other such skills are nice but not absolutely positively necessary. Equip with guitars and maximize music skill before doing anything criminal. This should earn you enough money to buy a business front for one of your safehouses, and a printing press for another one. I often get a few people good at writing to write for newspapers and then to the Liberal Guardian. Send your guitarists on raids to factories to earn juice since they are generally the safest (security skill comes in handy here, as well as disguises if you have them). Once they have good juice, you should start recruiting sleepers. The park and downtown apartments offer nice amounts of worthy people. Judges, eminent scientists, radio personalities, news anchors and CEO:s are all good. You don't even have to worry about the CCS - after losing two of my guitar hippies to their automatons I decided to disband and my sleeper army won the gave for me. This technique doesn't even seem to build up heat quickly, I didn't get raided once. The only problem is money, since wanted guitarists can't play on the streets without risking being arrested, but you can always recruit a few expendables to solicit donations or whatever.

EDIT: Sorry but this doesn't work quite as well in the latest version. This applied best for 3.19.4, the new sleeper mechanics make this somewhat harder, but still possible.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 05:56:01 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 02:23:17 pm »

If you want a clean, safe source of cash, get a few people with decent Computer, or if you're patient, train it up in them. Stick them by themselves in an Industrial District apartment, set them to credit card fraud, and forget they exist. Add more people to the group if you find you need more cash.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 05:02:27 pm »

One programmer, and the rest go for high intelligence. If one person can hack, then it counts as everyone successfully hacking, and they get their skill as though they managed to hack. Also, set them to hacking first to build up some juice before starting credit card fraud. Couple more stat points never hurt.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 05:46:57 pm »

I always start with a persuasive, high Heart founder, with some criminal skills.  My first act is always to steal a car, because I like having a proper getaway vehicle.

Next, it's off to the Crackhouses, to attempt to "recruit" (i.e. con money out of) everyone in the building.  Both to build up absurd levels of Persuasion and make money, obviously.  I'll usually recruit the four or so most promising Gang Members, and occasionally a Transient or other bugger with some special skill.  Superhumanly stat-ed Mutants in Nightmare Mode joined this list.  Then I send the new squad back to the Crackhouses to beat up on Conservative Teenagers for big juice.

Usually, I'll leave a couple of the Gangers attached to the founder as bodyguards, while a couple other people who show the aptitude for it will be trained up as Lieutenants, Persuading and recruiting their own Gangers.  A few extraneous people with special skills will join the group, and so after a month or two I'll have a solid cadre of mostly hardcore fighters, altogether about a dozen people.

After that, the real work begins.  I used to get a little group of programmers to earn money and spread the good word online, but I haven't gotten far enough in Nightmare Mode for liberal programmers to appear anywhere.  More to the point, this is when the midlevel strikes start in earnest - smashing factories and brainwashing corporate managers.  From then on I just have to play it by ear.

I originally started using this strategy of bludgeoning my way to stat-gains and social change because I think it works well in a gaming sense.  But I've come to appreciate it's character as well - all that 'beating people up in Crackhouses' business gives my version of the revolution a dirty, Fight Club, up-from-the-gutter feel that I think suits the Liberal Crime Squad quite well.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 07:22:22 pm »

Note that sense the most recent version I always play pro theif in nightmare mode:

steal car, buy cheap suit, unlock all the doors in an apartment for 4 or 5 days, spray up crack house for 50 juice, unlock as many cages as possible in cosmetic facility OR if in the police station or court the cells are stupidly placed next to the exit do that instead.

Now once that is all done master my stealth and disguise and recruit a child worker or teen in case my leader dies.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 01:46:24 pm »

One programmer, and the rest go for high intelligence. If one person can hack, then it counts as everyone successfully hacking, and they get their skill as though they managed to hack. Also, set them to hacking first to build up some juice before starting credit card fraud. Couple more stat points never hurt.

This is a good point. Like CCF, hacking is heat-free... and honestly, if you're good enough at it you can just do it instead of CCF, as hacking will yield various files to sell for a pretty penny. In my most recent game, in the time it took my hackers to hit 600 juice, they'd grabbed files enough to sell for $91k.

The downside of this is that there's no shortcut to mass-sell these things, so you need to do "Pawn Selectively' and pick every last one...

[e] Actually, wait - is hacking heat-free? I managed to get nine hackers to Liberal Elite in the same safehouse without a raid, but I see I racked up a pile of heat, and all I'd been doing was CCF and hacking. Hmmph.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 02:00:36 pm by E. Albright »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 02:28:40 pm »

Theoretically, CCF, hacking, and brownies should all build up heat. In practice, the amount of heat built up by these is low, and brownies people tend to get arrested in public anyway, which removes the heat pressure.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 05:29:37 pm »

nightmare mode start
  • talk any one who looks like thay will fight at crack den/the veage co op
  • talk to 50-75 people to get a good pick of skill/weapons
  • pick a kill team (best weapons/stats)
  • kill cons for money/weapons
  • level them up till thay can lead some one
  • free some people to run drugs for cash
  • dont whast time court room back up(you will not live to get your day in court)
  • work on sleepers/more people

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Zombie0hour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 06:55:47 pm »

Lol I had a good game running for the longest ever (20.min) got a little army of 6 guys all with guns, and went on a rampage for the hell of it in the juice bar. Took out a squad of policemen, and then swat raided and I faught them, and died after taking 2 of those bastards with me.
"I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 08:00:57 pm »

strategies. Money making? Recruitment? First actions?

On day one I usually go to the vegan co-op and recruit/seduce people until I've gained about .5 skill worth of persuaion and have a + sign next to seduction. I break off all the dates, and the recuits I talk to over the next couple days to leech persuation/science/business/law/religion skill gains from them. Meanwhile I run around more or less at random getting whichever skill gains I want. Security, stealth, disguise, whatever. If the social/legal climate allows me to do it without being blown away, I'll make a point of punching elderly folk and teenagers on my way out of sites to get martial arts skill gains in the process. Once the potential-recruits no longer give skill gains I keep any that have especially good stats, and solicit donations from the rest.

Then I repeat this process a couple times, and only then do I settle on a gameplan.

Typically, by then I'll several thousand dollars in cash, and a founder with about 10-15 points of skills gained.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 08:54:34 pm »

Generally my first action regards liberating a bunch of sweat shop workers and having all but the ones with 5 tailoring suicidally steal cars. Thus I've got myself some nice disguise production possible and a good car pretty quickly.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 09:37:20 pm »

Lol I had a good game running for the longest ever (20.min) got a little army of 6 guys all with guns, and went on a rampage for the hell of it in the juice bar. Took out a squad of policemen, and then swat raided and I faught them, and died after taking 2 of those bastards with me.

Pick a Founder with AK47 Birthday present, whatever skill choices gain rifle skill (or whatever, part three makes this kinda irrelevant anyways), and is a violent criminal (has a gang).  You might just be able to fight your way out.

Or....just tranfer your six followers to a seperate site from your founder, THEN have the followers go on rampages.  Expendable Followers die: Recruit six new followers.  Repeat until a follower actually gets captured, at which point the follower may rat out your founder.  Move your founder to a new, unused safehouse IMMEDIATELY if ratting occurs.

And relax.  Dying is half the fun!  Everytime you die, try the game a new way!  I remember once playing as a disgruntled former employee.  I had my founder steal a car, then take his AK47 to the Corporate HQ and shoot up the place.  Shortest game ever.  Think I killed maybe three conservatives before the cops finished me off.

I play my founder a total coward until someone else has the cred to take over (100 juice, direct follower of founder, can recruit [should have at least 3 slots total] are the requirements of a founder replacement).  As long as my founder and/or chain of succession is safe, THE REVOLUTION CAN NEVER DIE!