Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Wizard Duel Rules Discussion  (Read 12800 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Duel Rules Discussion
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 04:46:42 pm »

Actually, they are slightly different because of how affinities work and the timing of everything.

It does like this:

Defense and Attack work at the same time. Base damage is Attack - Defense.

Then, the total damage is calculated based on the Attack Element vs the Wizard's Affinity. If it is the same, it is halved and if it is opposing it is doubled.

Only after that is calculated does healing come into play. So, depending on the situation healing can be more or less useful then a defense boost.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 05:02:17 pm »

Ah, I see.

So, healing reduces the final damage. That way, I see it as being more powerful than a defense boost. If enough wizards get behind a deulist and all decide to heal him, he might be very difficult to defeat, depending on how well or poorly the opposing wizard chooses his element. Of course, the healing wizards have to choose their element well, too, or it will work very poorly.

Well, I'll guess we'll see what happens. This should be an interesting game.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 05:07:12 pm »

Depends a lot on the Attack roles. In some cases, a defense boost is way better. Especially when the attacker is using the opposite Element to attack. In those cases, the extra healing doesn't help nearly as much as not getting hurt in the first place, since elemental affinity for attacks comes into play after the Attack/Defense check is done. If you took no damage during the attack, the fact that it would have been doubled doesn't matter. But if you let it through, the extra healing may not be enough.

But that's just what I've seen during my tests. We'll have to see how it all works out in an actual game with people actually making decisions about what to do (instead of my randomly generated actions).
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2009, 02:52:25 pm »

I'm offended that you didn't choose me as a random character!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2009, 03:12:38 pm »

Well, you get to be an actual player, isn't that enough?

No, huh?

Ok, here is one with all the Players signed up so far:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Come play Mafia with us!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2009, 03:14:28 pm »

Oh noez!  We got defeated!

Would you mind posting a sample flavour text for what that battle would look like?  After all, posting the battle log would immediately out the person starting with 12 HP as scum.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2009, 03:27:51 pm »

Oh, yeah, you guys wouldn't actually be shown the combat log in a real game. This is just so people can see how my script does things (and how your decisions would effect the overall result).

So here is a sample of what the write-up would look like:

Shielded by the mystic runes of the other mages, the two Duelists step into the Arena.

Jim Groovester holds up his hands and draws runes in the air. At his every gesture large chunks of stone and earth rise up from the ground and float about him.

Webadict spins in a circle, blue lines of power arcing from his hands as a great whirlwind forms around him.

With a tremendous cracking of earth, Jim Groovester starts off the battle by hurling a large chunk of the flooring at Webadict. Blue runes sparkle in the air in front of the defender as he steps to the side, flagstones shattering around him. He is forced back a few steps, but seems unharmed.

In retaliation he hurls a great gust of wind at Jim, knocking him over and sending him tumbling across the floor. He rolls to his feet and rubs his shoulder a bit. Then, with a flick of his hand a shower of pebbles rains down on Webadict.

The blue runes crackle and hiss as they deflect the rain of stones, and Webadict prepares his own assault. He slashes with his hand, and an arc of wind rushes towards Jim, whose own Orange runes flare up around him. The wind is deflected upwards to disperse in the rafters.

Orange power sparking form his hands, Jim grasps one of the flagstones. It flakes under his hands and then spins forward, a sharp jagged blade aimed straight for Webadict's head! Webadict ducks hurriedly out of the way, the spinning blade of stone knocking the cap from his head...

And it would go on from there. For an actual game I may or may not transpose the entire battle, depending on how much time I have and how interesting the fight looks. But I'll try to keep things interesting and flavorful.

You'll notice that while I state which Element each mage attacks with (they pick at the beginning of the fight), I do not state the Affinity that they are defending with. That you have to determine for yourselves based on how well each mage does and how much the various assists seem to effect them.
Come play Mafia with us!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2009, 04:08:59 pm »

I see in the combat log that Frelock, Org, and webadict are all Warrior Mages. So, it's a possibility then that there can be more than one person with the same role, I'm guessing?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2009, 04:15:27 pm »

Correct. You can have multiples of most roles on both sides.
Come play Mafia with us!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2009, 04:29:38 pm »

What roles would there be only one of, then?

Grey Mage would be my first guess. Are there more?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions. There are a lot of implicit rules and other methods of operation for these mafia games that I'm not familiar with.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2009, 04:36:22 pm »

Here is my current matrix:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It uses the same format as the Paranormal matrix, plus a few columns, so a bunch of it isn't used right now (Like psychic). But that has most of the basic information in it.
Come play Mafia with us!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2009, 07:36:39 pm »

I beat the crap out of Cabal Mages.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2009, 11:11:50 am »

With my help.

Also, YAY for being in a test.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2009, 11:25:32 am »

Can we have a look at this "Program" you use?
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2009, 11:29:05 am »

As far as I can tell, it's the same program that's used for paranormal with the Wizard Duals roles put in instead.  Most of the terms input are fairly self explanatory, but the "weight" is designed to balance the power of the town and the scum team (so you don't get, for instance, a scum team of 3 archmages and no town power roles).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10