Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weird Cave found  (Read 2489 times)

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weird Cave found
« on: September 12, 2009, 08:57:50 am »

I was hunting around for a perfect site to build a fortress, and I found a spot with several neat features.  However, upon embark it turned out to be pretty weird.  While mining I got the messages "underground pool found" and "magma pipe found" well before I found them (I still haven't actually found the pool).  But that's not the weird thing.  The weird thing is a round cavern, which only takes up 1 z-level.  It's floor is covered in red sand (only red sand on the map) and it was connected to the great outdoors by one tile.   Anyone ever seen a cave like that before?

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Cave found
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 09:23:10 am »

No ... can we see yours?
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 09:34:52 am »

It's the pool. And the magma pipe. But with no water. Or magma. I've seen it before, it does happen.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 11:31:46 am »

Yep, you've found the underground pool.  Congratulations.  Hope you weren't planning on using it.
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Cookiemonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 11:40:35 am »

By the way it sounds it drained itself during the worldgen

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 05:49:01 pm »

Ah, thought that might be it.  Hmm, that leaves my map rather...dry.  Wonder if tower caps will still grow.  And say, I wonder if this is further evidence for drying mud eventually leaving behind some sort of sand or dirt floor.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 01:33:02 am »

Yeah, I've flooded caverns to make towercap farms, and after abandoning and reclaiming, all the muddied tiles had turned to sand.  Though my map/biome already had sand elsewhere. 

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 07:14:48 am »

Can we see a pic? :)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 08:01:40 am »

Tower Caps should still grow; their growth is dependant on finding UG Pools or Rivers, the Pools or Rivers don't need to have water in them.

But yeah, you found the UG Pool; sometimes the water in UG Pools or the magma in Magma Pools (and occasionally Magma Pipes!) just ceases to exist for no apparant reason.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 01:59:22 pm »

Okay, by popular demand, here's a picture
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see, I've done a little work in the cave (quite a lot of spider silk available, for one thing).  As I said, it is 1 z-level deep, (I've actually never seen an underground pool take up only 1 z-level, but I guess it could happen), with red sand.  It was connected with the outside by the two ramp tiles pointed out...I've since widened the entrance to allow caravans.  This is probably where all the water escaped. 

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 05:41:04 pm »

Also, if this situation is similar to my previous experiences, the cave pool critters are on your map too.

They'll be in a single tile underneath your sand, there. All of them crowded into a single tile.
So if you're planning on punching any holes through your sandy floor, keep soldiers nearby.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 05:56:32 pm »

I'll keep this in mind.  I did lose some sand by building and then deconstructing a farm (it wouldn't let me grow ANY crops in this biome...fortunatly the other side of the map was fine)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 06:17:03 pm »

Makes a great storage room.

Ironhand might be right; generally when you have an empty cave pool there's 1 or 2 'blocks' of water on the level below the pool with all the critters crammed into them like a clown car. There's usually no floor between the clown cars and the cave pool though...

But then again, the sand floor is probably because the pool drained during world-gen due to that opening, rather than because it drained mysteriously at embark.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 10:49:41 pm »

I'm pretty certain it didn't drain at outflow...there was no mud outwash, for one thing, and I didn't have a big fps hit.  Also, I think I would have seen it.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 11:40:58 pm »

Hence why i said it drained during world gen, as opposed to draining at embark, which is usually the norm.
Pages: [1] 2