Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windows 7 - GPU unable to accomodate texture catalog  (Read 8693 times)

Pip

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Windows 7 - GPU unable to accomodate texture catalog
« on: September 13, 2009, 10:57:50 am »

I'm running the Windows 7 Ultimate release candidate on an iMac via bootcamp. I've got the latest drivers for my graphics card, which is an ATI 4850 mobility Radeon, and I've yet to find a game that it doesn't run, except for DF when I have Mike Mayday's package installed - I've tried a number of different releases, including the latest one, and I get to the main menu without incident, but as soon as I start to generate a world or load a game, I get:

---------------------------
GL error
GPU unable to accomodate texture catalog. Retry without graphical tiles, update your drivers, or better yet update your GPU.
OK   

I can run other openGL games, like Neverwinter Nights, without any problems.
This doesn't happen with the latest (or any) vanilla release of DF. I can install a tileset and it will function fine, but this graphics set refuses to run.

Strangely, if I enable compatibility mode, it fails to find the font, even thought it's right there (I get "Not found: data/art/curses_640x300.png")

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I'm on 64-bit. Forgive my ignorance, might it be to do with only having 64-bit drivers and not detecting my card as a result?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 11:14:28 am by Pip »

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7 - GPU unable to accomodate texture catalog
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 12:16:15 pm »

I'm on 64 bit Vista home I've got no problems with it, it just might be that your on Windows 7 Try finding a uptodate copy of Fmod

Pip

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 02:29:01 pm »

Forgive me, but what is FMOD and how is it relevant to the problem? I'll check it out.

EDIT: From wikipedia-ing FMOD, it seems that it's to do with audio, not graphics?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 02:31:46 pm by Pip »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 03:24:01 pm »

Likely the issue is with Mayday's graphic pack, I know there's more in there than just new bitmaps.

Pip

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 04:17:13 pm »

Just applied RantingRodent's graphics pack to a fresh vanilla download, which only changed bmps and the init file, and it crashes exactly the same way, which would indicate that it isn't something else in maydays package  :(

I just tried copying only the init.txt and art folders from Mayday's pack into vanilla d16. I'm generating a world now, so it hasnt had the normal error. Presumably, then, it's the character-sets that are crashing it?

EDIT: Yup, copied over the raws folder and that's what breaks it. I noticed there's an FMOD.dll in DF's directory, is that what Uber Dwarf2.0 was talking about updating?  ???
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 04:35:28 pm by Pip »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 05:00:45 am »

According to this thread: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=37151.msg596609#msg596609

Your GPU doesn't have the drivers you need to run with graphics turned on.  I can't vouch for it, but you can try getting new drivers and/or disabling graphics in init.txt.