Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

What happens if I fill a magma tube higher than its normal height?

(1/5) > >>

denito:
I found a map that has an open magma tube, but there's also a naturally occurring circular wall 3+ Z-levels high all the way around it.  I know that if I drain the tube, it will slowly refill to its original height, but what will happen if I pump EXTRA magma in to it in an attempt to fill the basin?  Will it sink back down the tube, or will the level stay up?

Of course to get the magma in the first place I'll have to pump from a level lower down in the tube, so maybe I'll just be shuffling the same material around.  What I'm expecting to happen, however, is that I'll pump underground from a column of magma that I know to be blocked above, removing the magma won't be dropping the column above it, but will hopefully be refilled from the bottom of that column.  Is that how it would work?

Edit:  I should mention that I'm intending to pump the magma up to a higher Z level first, and then drop it on top of the volcano from up in the air.  I'm not intending to try to pressurize the tube.

Derakon:
You can make the tube "taller" by pumping into a cistern, waiting for the pipe to naturally refill, and then pumping the cistern's contents back onto the pipe. The pumped magma will simply "sit" on top of the pipe's surface; it won't sink back down.

Neruz:
What you've found, by the way, is the Mysterious Vanishing Magma Pipe. Sometimes Magma Pipes just decide that their top few Z levels shall just not have any magma in them.

Also, i'm not certain, but i think filling it up might actually cause the new magma level to become the 'top' of the pipe.

Demonic Spoon:
Are you sure? Because if so that would be AWESOME.

Neruz:
Like i said, i'm not sure. I know if you take a Bottomless Pit and replace all the Chasm tiles with Magma Source tiles, then fill up the Bottomless Pit with magma it will actually turn into a Magma Pipe and fill up to the level you filled it with Magma. Futhermore i also had an accident when i artificially extended a magma pipe using walls because i was bored and suddenly magma'd the entire map when magma started spawning at the top of the now extended pipe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version