Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Life Simulations  (Read 13020 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life Simulations
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2009, 11:09:24 am »

The Game of Life is the only true life simulator. Best of all, it is, in theory, a simulated turing machine (aka computer)
Insofar as the relationship between Finite State Recognisers and implemention as 1-dimensional Turin machine tapes.  (Even multi-tape and multi-dimensional tapes can be 'reduced', IIRC.)  While not a 1:1 relationship, I could see a Conway-scape
emulated by a Turin-tape, but it'd be variable (and many) Turin-ticks per Conway-tick.  Increasing exponentially according the scope of the potentially inhabited Conway-space, and needing a pretty nifty dynamic multidimensional array emulation technique to map onto tape, unless you constrained the Conway space (or gave it wrap-around), in which case it you could simplify it a bit into a static representation.

But it's been a decade or two since I learnt about that stuff, so please feel free to correct me, or update me with any new thoughts on the subject.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2009, 11:19:45 am »

The Game of Life is the only true life simulator. Best of all, it is, in theory, a simulated turing machine (aka computer)
Insofar as the relationship between Finite State Recognisers and implemention as 1-dimensional Turin machine tapes.  (Even multi-tape and multi-dimensional tapes can be 'reduced', IIRC.)  While not a 1:1 relationship, I could see a Conway-scape
emulated by a Turin-tape, but it'd be variable (and many) Turin-ticks per Conway-tick.  Increasing exponentially according the scope of the potentially inhabited Conway-space, and needing a pretty nifty dynamic multidimensional array emulation technique to map onto tape, unless you constrained the Conway space (or gave it wrap-around), in which case it you could simplify it a bit into a static representation.

But it's been a decade or two since I learnt about that stuff, so please feel free to correct me, or update me with any new thoughts on the subject.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but a computer can, in his own world, emulate anything. Including a finite state recognizer, that's pretty basic AFAIK.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2009, 11:27:09 am »

I'm not an expert on the subject, but a computer can, in his own world, emulate anything. Including a finite state recognizer, that's pretty basic AFAIK.
I think you just said what I wanted to, but in a better order and more succinctly.  (I think. :))

I write too much and too tangentially, I know.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2009, 11:37:10 am »

I think you just said what I wanted to, but in a better order and more succinctly.  (I think. :))

I write too much and too tangentially, I know.

Huzzah for simplification!
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2009, 11:52:27 am »

Indeed, praise be upon you, that the complications of explanation shall be reduced to an essence that is roughly equivalent in information content and yet packed within a smaller number of phonemes (and/or alphabetic characters, if you do not consider the internal narrative voice to be appropriately measurable in this situation, and must resort to the representation in abstract pseudo-phonetic symbology), thus possibly resulting in a better proportion between general understanding of the purpose of the communication and the total required effort required to convey, transport and absorb the informatic content.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2009, 12:24:53 pm »

Indeed, praise be upon you, that the complications of explanation shall be reduced to an essence that is roughly equivalent in information content and yet packed within a smaller number of phonemes (and/or alphabetic characters, if you do not consider the internal narrative voice to be appropriately measurable in this situation, and must resort to the representation in abstract pseudo-phonetic symbology), thus possibly resulting in a better proportion between general understanding of the purpose of the communication and the total required effort required to convey, transport and absorb the informatic content.

Let us return on the matter of Conway's Game of Life, shall we?

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2009, 07:52:36 pm »

Let us return on the matter of Conway's Game of Life, shall we?

NO *bang*. Anyway, Alter Ego is some nice shit, though I loved the fight part, kicked that motherfucker's ass >:D
Hello Hunam

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2009, 08:09:10 pm »

What Game of Life engine do you use?
I use this old one that hasn't been updated since late 2001, but despite a single bug(colour-fill on same colour causes freeze) it is probably one of the better generic CA engines available.
Eh?
Eh!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2009, 12:05:19 am »

I use the Milton Bradley engine.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2009, 12:28:51 am »

I use the Golly one.

Has anyone here made GOL templates? It's hard/

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2009, 04:45:40 am »

Downloadable version of This.

Maybe it's not advanced, but I'm on ridiculous restrainments on this computer. Darn Mac OS X Parental Controls. I'd have found a way around it if the mac wasn't protected by the 'Open Firmware Protection' thingy,

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2009, 01:37:31 pm »

Anybody try this?

Amber Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrrr?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2009, 06:35:10 pm »

^ Thats pretty interesting! I like it! But its only a trial. *Is gloomy*

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2009, 12:22:41 am »

Real Lives is always fun. Get shit on by the game when you live in a foreign country.

I was the only one in my poor family who did not come down with gout.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2009, 06:16:10 am »

Wow that looks pretty indepth. That would be really cool to do in school as a *learning tool

* fun game
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6